William Madison Garland was born in Van Aystline, Texas, in 1908. He graduated from high school at Fort Worth, Texas, and entered the U.S. Military Academy, from which he graduated June 10, 1932 and was commissioned a second lieutenant of Infantry. The following fall, he began flying training and after graduating from primary and advanced flying schools was rated a pilot and transferred to the Air Corps Feb. 16, 1934.
General Garland's first assignment was as adjutant of the 31st Bomb Squadron at March Field, Calif. In February 1935, he became transportation officer for the 70th Service Squadron, also at March Field, and in September 1936, rejoined the 31st Bomb Squadron as operations officer. In February 1937, he was named operations officer of the 25th Bomb Squadron at France Field, Panama Canal Zone.
In May 1939, General Garland became an instructor at the Air Corps Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas, and in August 1940, was named assistant director of training for the Bombardier School at Lowry Field, Colo., and later served in that capacity at Ellington Field, Texas.
In November 1942, General Garland was given temporary duty in the United Kingdom, and a year later was named assistant to the assistant chief of staff for operations of the Eighth Bomber Command in the European theater. He assumed that position with the Eighth Air Force, also in that theater, in January 1944.
General Garland was named deputy commander of Langley Field, Va., in August 1944. In April 1945, he was transferred to Army Air Force headquarters at Washington, D.C., as chief of the Communications Training Division. In November 1945, he became chief of the Technical Services Branch there, and in May 1945, was named deputy chief of the Training Division in the Office of the Assistant Chief of Air Staff for Operations. In April 1947, he was appointed deputy to the assistant chief of air staff for operations.
General Garland entered the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in July 1947. Upon graduation in June 1948, he was appointed assistant commandant of the U.S. Air Force Bombardier School at Mather Air Force Base, Calif., and in March 1949, he assumed command of the 3535th Bomb Training Wing there.
General Garland entered the National War College in August 1950, and graduated in June 1951. He then was named chief of the Air Targets Division in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations at Air Force headquarters. He became assistant for production in the Directorate of Intelligence in that office in October 1951, and the following May was appointed deputy director for targets there.
In September 1952, General Garland was named chief of the Air Technical Intelligence Center at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
General Garland has been awarded the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, the French Croix de Guerre with Palm, and the Belgian Croix de Guerre with Palm. He is rated a command pilot.
(Up to date as of Aug. 25, 1953)