Maj. Gen. Jon A. Norman is the Director of Global Power Programs in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for the directing, planning and programming of 159 Air Force, joint service and international programs with a $10 billion annual budget.
General Norman was commissioned in 1986 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He completed undergraduate pilot training as the Air Training Command Flying Award winner and outstanding graduate of his class. He was also the distinguished graduate and winner of the Air‐to‐Air and Air‐to‐Ground Top Gun awards during his F‐16 training. General Norman has served in a variety of operational assignments to include instructor pilot, flight examiner, mission commander, weapons officer, operational test and evaluation pilot, and operations officer. He has commanded a fighter squadron, operations group, two fighter wings, was vice commander of a Numbered Air Force and served as Director to United States Air Forces in Europe‐United Kingdom.
General Norman is a command pilot with more than 3,300 flying hours in the F‐16 and AT‐38. He led combat missions in support of Northern Watch, Southern Watch and Iraqi Freedom.
1986 Bachelor of Science degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Distinguished graduate, F‐16 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1994 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Master of Military Arts and Science degree, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2004 Master’s degree in National Security Studies, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1986 ‐ August 1987, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. September 1987 ‐ November 1987, Student, Fighter Lead‐In Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. December 1987 ‐ June 1988, Student, F‐16 Replacement Training Unit, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. August 1988 ‐ January 1991, F‐16 Instructor, 70th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
5. January 1991 ‐ January 1992, F‐16 Instructor Pilot, Wing Standardization and Evaluation Flight Examiner, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
6. January 1992 ‐ November 1994, F‐16 Instructor Pilot Wing Standardization and Evaluation Flight Examiner and Weapons Officer, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
7. November 1994 ‐ January 1997, F‐16 Operational Test and Evaluation Pilot, Standardization and Evaluation Flight Examiner and Flight Commander, 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
8. January 1997 ‐ June 1998, Air Combat Command Fighter Combat Operations Representative to the National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
9. June 1998 ‐ June 1999, Student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
10. August 1999 ‐ June 2003, Operations Officer and Commander, 77th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
11. June 2003 ‐ June 2004, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2004 ‐ May 2006, Chief, Air and Sea Branch, Force Application Assessment Division (J8), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. May 2006 ‐ June 2007, Commander, 8th Operations Group, Kunsan AB, South Korea
14. June 2007 ‐ September 2008, Commander, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan AB, South Korea
15. October 2008 ‐ February 2010, Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. February 2010 ‐ May 2010, Special Assistant to the Commander, 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), Davis‐Monthan AFB, Ariz.
17. June 2010 ‐ May 2012, Vice Commander, 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), Davis‐Monthan AFB, Ariz. (August 2010 ‐ December 2010, Director, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, Southwest Asia)
18. June 2012 ‐ May 2013, Director to United States Air Forces in Europe‐United Kingdom, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
19. May 2013 ‐ June 2014, Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
20. June 2014 - February 2015, Chief of Staff, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
21. February 2015 - August 2015, Vice Commander, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
22. August 2015 - present, Director, Global Power Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. January 1997 ‐ June 1998, Air Combat Command Fighter Combat Operations Representative to the
National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md., as a major
2. June 2004 ‐ May 2006, Chief, Air and Sea Branch, Force Application Assessment Division (J8), Joint Staff,
the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
3. August 2010 ‐ December 2010, Director, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, Southwest Asia, as a brigadier general
4. February 2013 ‐ May 2013, Deputy Commanding General, U.S. Army Africa, OJM, as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,000
Aircraft flown: F-16, AT-38, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1986
First Lieutenant May 28, 1988
Captain May 28, 1990
Major Aug. 1, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel Feb. 1, 2006
Brigadier General Nov. 10, 2010
Major General July 3, 2014
(Current as of September 2015)