Brig. Gen. Steven D. Garland is Commander of the Jeanne M. Holm Center for Officer Accessions and Citizen Development, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama. As the Air Force’s largest officer accession source, General Garland leads over 3,200 Airmen training 163,000 cadets at 2,140 locations globally. The command includes 16,700 cadets at 1,250 colleges and university nationwide for Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps; 3,300 cadets in Air Force Officer Training School at Maxwell AFB; and more than 143,000 cadets in 890 high schools globally supporting Air Force Junior ROTC. The Holm Center produces over 85 percent of the Air Force’s front line officers, chaplains, judge advocates and medical officers.
General Garland graduated from the University of California, Irvine and earned his commission from Officer Training School in 1987. General Garland has commanded an expeditionary squadron and two wings with multiple operational tours in Southwest Asia and Europe. His staff assignments include: Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon as well as Joint Staff duty at the Air Land Sea Application Center. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Vice Commander, Fourteenth Air Force, Air Forces Strategic, Vandenberg AFB, California.
General Garland is a master navigator with more than 3,000 flying hours, including 1,130 combat hours in fighter aircraft.
1986 Bachelor of Science in Biology, University of California, Irvine
1986 Bachelor of Arts in Economics, University of California, Irvine
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master's degree in Business Administration, University of Phoenix, Ariz.
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Executive Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2012 Joint Maritime Component Commander Course, Manama, Bahrain
2013 Combined/Joint Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Cyber Operations Executive Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. April 1987 - July 1988, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. August 1988 - August 1989, F-4E Student Weapons Systems Officer, F-4G Wild Weasel Student, Electronic Warfare Officer, 21st and 562nd Tactical Fighter Training Squadrons, George AFB, Calif.
3. September 1989 - December 1993, F-4G Instructor EWO, Chief Standardization and Evaluation, 81st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
4. January 1994 - December 1995, F-4G Instructor EWO, Weapons Officer, Assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 561st Fighter Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. January 1996 - July 1996, F-15E Student Weapons Systems Officer, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. August 1996 - September 1999, F-15E Instructor WSO, Flight Commander and Assistant Operations Officer, 492nd Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England
7. October 1999 - July 2001, F-117A Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, 49th Operations Support Squadron and Assistant Operations Officer, 8th Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
8. August 2001 - May 2002, Wing Executive Officer, 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
9. June 2002 - May 2003, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, CHECKMATE Division, Chief of Central Command/European Command Branch, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2003 - September 2004, Secretary of the Air Force/Chief of Staff of the Air Force Executive Action Group, Chief of Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. October 2004 - April 2005, F-15E Assistant Director of Operations, 391st Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
12. May 2005 - June 2006, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Southwest Asia
13. July 2006 - May 2007, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2007 – April 2009, Deputy Director, then Director, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, VA
15. May 2009 - February 2010, Vice Commander, 505th Command and Control Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
16. March 2010 - June 2012, Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
17. June 2012 - June 2014, Commander, 36th Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam
18. July 2014 - June 2016, Vice Commander, 14th Air Force, Air Forces Strategic, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
19. July 2016 – present, Commander, Jeanne M. Holm Center for Officer Accessions and Citizen Development, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2007 - June 2008, Deputy Director, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va., as a colonel
2. June 2008 - May 2009, Director, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va., as a colonel
Rating: Master navigator
Flight Hours: More than 3,000, including 1,130 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: F-15E, F-4E/G
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with fifteen oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 31, 1987
First Lieutenant March 31, 1989
Captain June 1, 1991
Major Oct. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2003
Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Brigadier General June 2, 2013
(Current as of May 2017)