Maj. Gen. James C. Johnson is the Director of the Air Force Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) Office of the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The SAPR office is the service's single point of accountability and oversight for sexual assault policy matters, and reports directly to the Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force. The SAPR office develops policies and programs that address the service's sexual assault prevention, education, accountability, victim assistance and assessment efforts.
General Johnson entered the Air Force through the University of Puget Sound ROTC program in 1988 with a Bachelor of Arts in political science. He served in operational positions supporting U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Air Mobility Command, and Air Education and Training Command. He completed numerous leadership assignments at the squadron, wing, major command, Headquarters Air Force, as well as joint command levels at U.S. Transportation Command, Central Command, Special Operations Command and Africa Command.
Prior to his current position, General Johnson served as the Commander of the Air Force Recruiting Service, Randolph AFB, Texas.
1987 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of Puget Sound, Wash.
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Business Administration, Saint Martin's College, Wash.
2000 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, R.I.
2003 Air War College, by seminar
2006 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1988 - June 1988, Student, ground-launch cruise missile (GLCM) training, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
2. June 1988 - March 1990, Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander, GLCMs, Wueschheim, Germany
3. March 1990 - January 1991, Commander/Instructor ground-launch cruise missiles, Wueschheim, Germany
4. January 1991 - January 1992, Student, undergraduate navigator training, Mather AFB, Calif.
5. January 1992 - June 1993, C-141B Navigator/Mission scheduler, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
6. June 1993 - April 1994, Navigator/Squadron Executive Officer, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
7. April 1994 - January 1995, Navigator/Director of Quality, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
8. January 1995 - September 1996, Flight Commander/Instructor Navigator, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
9. September 1996 - July 1999, Executive Officer, 62nd Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
10. July 1999 - July 2000, Student, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. July 2000 - May 2001, Chief, MAJCOM Inspections, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. May 2001 - August 2002, Executive Officer, Air Force Inspector General, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. August 2002 - July 2004, Commander, 62nd Aerial Port Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
14. July 2004 - July 2005, Chief, Air Mobility Command Senior Leader Management, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
15. July 2005 - June 2006, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2006 - August 2008, U.S. Transportation Command Liaison to U.S. Central Command and U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
17. August 2008 - October 2008, Commander, 19th Airlift Wing (Provisional), Little Rock AFB, Ark.
18. October 2008 - June 2009, Vice Commander, 19th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
19. June 2009 - March 2011, Commander, 43rd Airlift Wing, Pope AFB, N.C.
20. March 2011- August 2012, Director, Air Force Colonel Management Office, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
21. August 2012 - September 2014, Director for Logistics, U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany
22. September 2014 - September 2015, Commander, AFRS, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
23. October 2015 - present, Director, Sexual Assault Prevention and Response, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2006 - August 2008, U.S. Transportation Command Liaison to U.S. Central Command and U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a colonel
2. August 2012 - September 2014, Director for Logistics, U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany, as a brigadier general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 23, 1987
First Lieutenant Oct. 6, 1989
Captain Oct. 6, 1991
Major May 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2002
Colonel March 1, 2006
Brigadier General July 20, 2012
Major General Aug. 3, 2015
(Current as of July 2016)