|MAJOR GENERAL VIRGIL J. "JACK" TONEY|
Retired Dec. 31, 2001.
Maj. Gen. Virgil J. "Jack" Toney is mobilization assistant to the Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
General Toney entered the Air Force in 1966 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant and reported as a graduate student to the Air Force Institute of Technology, University of California at Los Angeles. He served as a personnel officer in the United States and in Panama and was released from active duty in 1972. He then joined the Air Force Reserve Individual Mobilization Augmentee Program as a personnel officer and supply operations officer at Air Force logistics activities in California, Utah and Texas. Prior to his current assignment, he was mobilization assistant to the Director, Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
In his civilian capacity, he is assistant deputy director, Office of Health Plan Oversight, California Department of Managed Health Care.
1966 Bachelor of Science degree in engineering management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1967 Master of Business Administration degree in finance, University of California at Los Angeles
1982 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1984 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1989 Air War College, by correspondence
1. June 1966 - March 1967, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of California at Los Angeles
2. March 1967 - February 1968, student, undergraduate pilot training, 3501st Student Squadron, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
3. February 1968 - March 1971, personnel officer, 24th Combat Support Group, Albrook AFB, Panama
4. March 1971 - July 1972, personnel officer, later, Chief, Consolidated Base Personnel Office, Headquarters Sacramento Air Materiel Area, McClellan AFB, Calif.
5. July 1972 - October 1972, Nonaffiliated Reserve Section, Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center, Denver, Colo.
6. October 1972 - October 1978, personnel officer, later, supply officer, 6th Air Materiel Area Augmentation Squadron, Chico Municipal Airport, Calif.
7. October 1978 - July 1980, supply management staff officer, Detachment 1, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. July 1980 - February 1982, supply officer, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
9. February 1982 - December 1990, supply officer, later, logistics officer, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
10. December 1990 - February 1992, mobilization assistant to the Commander, San Antonio ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
11. February 1992 - June 1995, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
12. June 1995 - August 1999, mobilization assistant to the Director, Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
13. September 1999 - present, mobilization assistant to the Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organization Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with gold hourglass
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Academy Association of Graduates
Reserve Officers Association
Air Force Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 8, 1966
First Lieutenant June 8, 1969
Captain July 27, 1972
Major June 7, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 30,1984
Colonel July 1,1988
Brigadier General Aug. 12,1992
Major General May 20, 1997
(Current as of May 2001)