|MAJOR GENERAL KEITH D. KRIES|
New photo pending
Maj. Gen. Keith D. Kries is the mobilization assistant to the Commander, 8th Air Force (Air Forces Strategic), Barksdale Air Force Base, La., and Joint Functional Component Commander for Global Strike, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb. "The Mighty Eighth" serves as the air component headquarters to USSTRATCOM for strategic deterrence and global strike, and it operates USSTRATCOM's Joint Air Operations Center. The Joint Functional Component Command for Global Strike plans and executes strategic deterrence and global strike operations for USSTRATCOM.
General Kries earned his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1979. After pilot training, he was assigned to Norton AFB, Calif., rising to instructor and flight examiner status while flying the C-141. He served on active duty until joining the Air Force Reserve in 1986. He has served in various positions, including commander of an airlift squadron, vice commander of an airlift wing and vice commander of a numbered air force. The general flew numerous special operations missions, including the deployment of special operations forces into Grenada. His Air Force experience includes combat support missions during operations Desert Storm, Allied Force and Iraqi Freedom.
Prior to assuming his current duties, General Kries served as Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, Operations, United Nations Command/Combined Forces Command/U. S. Forces Korea. The general is a command pilot with more than 6,000 flying hours.
1979 Bachelor of Science degree in aviation science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1983 Master's degree in aviation science, Embry-Riddle University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1983 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1986 Master's degree in business administration, Embry-Riddle University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1994 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Reserve Component National Security Course, Washington, D.C.
2005 Director of Mobility Forces Course, Scott AFB, Ill.
2007 National Security Decision-Making Course, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2008 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Joint Force Maritime Component Commander Course, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. October 1979 - November 1980, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. November 1980 - September 1984, C-141 aircraft commander and instructor pilot, 14th Military Airlift Squadron, Norton AFB, Calif.
3. October 1984 - October 1986, C-141 flight examiner pilot, 63rd Military Airlift Wing, Norton AFB, Calif.
4. October 1986 - September 1994, C-141 instructor pilot, 730th Military Airlift Squadron, Norton AFB and March AFB, Calif.
5. September 1994 - November 1999, flight commander, assistant operations officer, 89th and 356th Airlift Squadrons, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. December 1999 - April 2002, Commander, 356th Airlift Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. April 2002 - August 2005, Vice Commander, 445th Airlift Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. August 2005 - July 2008, Vice Commander, 4th Air Force, March Air Reserve Base, Calif (September 2005 - January 2006, Deputy Director, U.S. Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Southwest Asia)
9. August 2008 - May 2010, Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff for Operations (J3), U.S. Forces Korea and United Nations Command, Yongsan Army Garrison, South Korea
10. June 2010 - present, mobilization assistant to the Commander, 8th Air Force, (Air Forces Strategic), Barksdale AFB, La., and Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Global Strike, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2005 - January 2006, Deputy Director, Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, U.S. Central Command, Southwest Asia, as a colonel
2. August 2008 - June 2010, Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters United Nations Command/Combined Forces Command/U.S. Forces Korea, Yongsan Garrison, South Korea, as a brigadier general
3. June 2010 - present, mobilization assistant to the Commander, 8th Air Force, Barksdale AFB, La., and Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Global Strike, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a brigadier general
Ratings: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 6,000
Aircraft flown: C-141A/B/C, KC-10, T-37, T-38, DC-9, MD-80, A-319/320/321, B-757 and B-767
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two silver oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Antarctica Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with three bronze stars
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Korea Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with two service stars
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and oak leaf cluster
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1979
First Lieutenant May 30, 1981
Captain May 30, 1983
Major May 30, 1992
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 18, 1998
Colonel April 1, 2002
Brigadier General June 13, 2008
Major General Jan. 1, 2013
(Current as of January 2013)