|BRIGADIER GENERAL STEVEN D. GARLAND|
Brig. Gen. Steven D. Garland is Commander, 36th Wing, Andersen Air Force Base, Guam. He is responsible for five groups and 17 squadrons, executing Pacific Command's Continuous Bomber Presence, Theater Security Packages and Contingency Response Operations. He is also tasked to ensure the successful deployment, employment and integration of air and space forces from the most forward sovereign U.S. Air Force Base in the Pacific region. As installation Commander, he is responsible for the well-being of more than 8,500 military and civilian personnel on Andersen Air Force Base. Additionally, he assists with installation management of Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands as the Deputy Commander of Joint Region Marianas.
General Garland graduated from the University of California, Irvine, in 1986 and received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Officer Training School in 1987. He has served as an instructor in the F-15E, F-117A and F-4G with numerous operational tours in the Middle East and Europe. He commanded the 99th Air Base Wing and 379th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron. He also served as Vice Commander, 505th Command and Control Wing. He has held staff assignments at Headquarters Air Staff as well as joint staff duty at the Air Land Sea Application Center.
The general is a master navigator with more than 3,000 hours in the F-15E and F-4G.
1986 Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, University of California, Irvine
1986 Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics, University of California, Irvine
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master's degree in Business Administration, University of Phoenix, Ariz.
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Science degree, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. April 1987 - July 1988, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. August 1988 - August 1989, F-4E Student Weapons Systems Officer, F-4G Wild Weasel Student Electronic Warfare Officer, 21st and 562nd Tactical Fighter Training Squadrons, George AFB, Calif.
3. September 1989 - December 1993, F-4G Instructor WSO, Chief Standardization and Evaluation, 81st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
4. January 1994 - December 1995, F-4G Instructor EWO, Weapons Officer, Assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 561st Fighter Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. January 1996 - July 1996, F-15E Student Weapons Systems Officer, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. August 1996 - September 1999, F-15E Instructor WSO, Flight Commander and Assistant Operations Officer, 492nd Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England
7. October 1999 - July 2001, F-117A Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, 49th Operational Support Squadron and Assistant Operations Officer, 8th Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
8. August 2001 - May 2002, Wing Executive Officer, 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
9. June 2002 - May 2003, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, CHECKMATE Division, Chief of Central Command/European Command Branch, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2003 - September 2004, Secretary of the Air Force/Chief of Staff of the Air force Executive Action Group, Chief of Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. October 2004 - April 2005, F-15E Assistant Director of Operations, 391st Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
12. May 2005 - June 2006, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Southwest Asia
13. July 2006 - May 2007, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2007 - May 2008, Deputy Director, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va.
15. June 2008 - April 2009, Director, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va.
16. May 2009 - February 2010, Vice Commander, 505th Command and Control Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
17. March 2010 - June 2012, Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
18. June 2012 - present, Commander, 36th Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2007 - June 2008, Deputy Director, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va., as a colonel
2. June 2008 - May 2009, Director, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va., as a colonel
Rating: Master navigator
Flight Hours: More than 3,000, including 1,130 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: F-15E, F-4E/G
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Superior Service Medal
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with 15 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
NATO Medal (Kosovo)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 31, 1987
First Lieutenant March 31, 1989
Captain June 1, 1991
Major Oct. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2003
Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Brigadier General June 2, 2013
(Current as of June 2013)