|MAJOR GENERAL BOBBY O. FLOYD|
Retired April 1, 1999.
Major General Bobby O. Floyd is director of logistics, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He provides policy and guidance to train, equip and organize aircraft maintenance, transportation, supply, contracting and logistics plans units at 14 major active air installations in the U.S. and 17 en route locations throughout the globe. He is responsible for 650 active aircraft, 8,900 vehicles and 24,000 personnel. He also assists in the readiness of more than 300 aircraft and 18,000 personnel in the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard, providing Total Force augmentation in support of flexible Global Reach for America.
The general was born in Olanta, S.C. He graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in June 1968 and entered the Air Force in June 1968. He received his pilot wings at Moody Air Force Base, Ga., in August 1969. His career has included key staff and command duties at squadron, wing, numbered air force, major command and Air Force headquarters levels.
1968 Bachelor's degree in mathematics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1977 Master's degree in business, Central Michigan University
1978 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1985 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. August 1969 - February 1972, pilot, 41st Military Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
2. February 1972 - February 1973, pilot, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, South Vietnam
3. February 1973 - October 1974, chief squadron standardization pilot, 41st Military Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
4. October 1974 - October 1975, standardization pilot, 437th Military Airlift Wing, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
5. October 1975 - January 1978, procurement officer, Air Force Contract Management Division, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
6. January 1978 - June 1978, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
7. June 1978 - August 1980, programming officer, deputy chief of staff, programs and evaluation, directorate of programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. August 1980 - June 1982, executive officer to deputy chief of staff, programs and evaluation, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. June 1982 - June 1984, commander, 57th Military Airlift Squadron, Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
10. August 1984 - May 1985, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
11. June 1985 - April 1987, deputy director, then director, programming and policy, deputy chief of staff, plans, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
12. April 1987 - June 1989, deputy chief of staff, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
13. June 1989 - June 1990, commander, 60th Military Airlift Wing, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
14. June 1990 - March 1991, deputy director of forces, deputy chief of staff, programs and resources, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. March 1991 - June 1992, deputy director, programs and evaluation, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. June 1992 - June 1994, commander, 23rd Wing, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
17. June 1994 - August 1995, director of plans, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
18. August 1995 - November 1996, director of forces, deputy chief of staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
19. November 1996 - present, director of logistics, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 4,800
Aircraft flown: C-141, C-5, C-130, C-47, T-39, A-10 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Presidential Unit Citation
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with two service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 5, 1968
First Lieutenant Dec 5, 1969
Captain Jun 5, 1971
Major Feb 1, 1977
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1981
Colonel Nov 1, 1985
Brigadier General Jul 2, 1992
Major General Mar 14, 1996
(Current as of September 1998)