|MAJOR GENERAL JAMES J. JONES|
Maj. Gen. James J. Jones is the is the Director of Operations, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The directorate is responsible for policy, guidance and oversight of Air Force air and weather operations, training and sourcing. It is the largest directorate on the Air Staff with more than 1,760 personnel, 18 divisions and three field operating agencies, including the Air Force Operations Group, Air Force Flight Standards Agency, and Air Force Weather Agency.
General Jones received his commission through Officer Training School in 1983 after graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree in music education from Louisiana Tech University in 1981. His early assignments include instructor pilot, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, and an academic flight commander at the U.S. Air Force Weapons School. He has held staff positions at the Air Land Sea Application Center and Headquarters U.S. Air Force. He has previously commanded a fighter squadron, two operations groups, an air control wing and the 55th Wing at Offutt AFB, Neb. The general also served as Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia. Prior to his current assignment he was the Deputy Commander, U.S. Air Forces Central Command; Deputy, Combined Force Air Component Commander, U.S. Central Command; and Vice Commander 9th Air Expeditionary Task Force.
General Jones is a command pilot with more than 2,700 flying hours.
1981 Bachelor of Science degree, Louisiana Tech University
1989 F-16 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1994 Master's degree in aeronautical science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1995 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2001 Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. May 1983 - May 1984, student, undergraduate pilot training, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. June 1984 - August 1984, student, fighter lead-in training, 414th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. October 1984 - March 1985, student, 311th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1985 - March 1988, Chief of Scheduling and air-to-ground weapons officer, 496th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn Air Base, West Germany
5. March 1988 - June 1991, instructor pilot, later, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 58th Tactical Training Squadron and 314th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. June 1991 - June 1994, instructor pilot, later, academic flight commander, F-16 Division, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. June 1994 - June 1995, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 1995 - June 1997, joint action officer, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va.
9. June 1997 - October 1999, operations officer, later, Commander, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
10. October 1999 - August 2000, Deputy Division Chief for Munitions Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. August 2000 - June 2001, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
12. July 2001 - May 2002, Deputy Commander for Operations, 552nd Operations Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
13. May 2002 - September 2002, Commander, 93rd Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
14. October 2002 - May 2004, Commander, 116th Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
15. June 2004 - June 2005, Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
16. July 2005 - October 2005, special assistant to the Commander, Warner-Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins AFB, Ga.
17. October 2005 - March 2007, Commander, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
18. March 2007 - April 2009, Commander, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
19. April 2009 - June 2011, Deputy Director, Operations (J3), U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
20. June 2011 - June 2012, Deputy Commander, U.S. Air Forces Central Command; Deputy, Combined Force Air Component Commander, U.S. Central Command; Vice Commander 9th Air Expeditionary Task Force, Air Combat Command, Southwest Asia
21. July 2012 - Present, Director of Operations, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 1995 - June 1997, joint action officer, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va., as a major
2. April 2009 - June 2011, Deputy Director, Operations (J3), USCENTCOM, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a brigadier general and major general.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,700
Aircraft flown: RC-135, E-8C, KC-135R, E-3B/C, TC-18E, F-16A/B/C/D, AT-38A/B, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Colonel Joseph A. Moller Trophy, 2009
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 17, 1983
First Lieutenant May 17, 1985
Captain May 17, 1987
Major Nov. 1, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 1998
Colonel Aug. 1, 2002
Brigadier General July 1, 2008
Major General May 1, 2011
(Current as of July 2013)