|BRIGADIER GENERAL DEAN J. DESPINOY|
Retired June 7, 2010.
Brig. Gen. Dean J. Despinoy is Commander, 434th Air Refueling Wing, Air Force Reserve Command, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind. He commands one of the key aerial refueling units in the Air Force Reserve Command. The wing is equipped with two KC-135R squadrons and supports both the Single Integrated Operational Plan and conventional tanker missions.
General Despinoy started his military career in 1969, entering the Navy and serving on board both conventional and nuclear fast attack submarines as an electronics technician. He left the Navy and earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Indiana University. He was commissioned into the Air Force in 1977 as a distinguished graduate of the ROTC program at the University of Notre Dame. He served in many positions within Strategic Air Command, transferring to the Air Force Reserve Command in 1987.
General Despinoy served on the Saudi Arabia Battle Staff during Desert Storm, commanded several deployed units in Turkey, France and Spain during contingency operations, and served as the Deputy Director of Mobility Forces during operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. He is a command pilot with more than 4,300 flying hours.
1977 Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology, Indiana University, Bloomington
1984 Master of Arts degree in business administration, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1985 Marine Corps Command and Staff College
1988 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB. Ala.
1993 Joint Military Operation Course
1994 Strategic Planning Course
1995 Air War College
1. February 1978 - January 1979, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. January 1979 - May 1979, student, KC-135 combat crew training, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. June 1979 - September 1982, aircraft commander, 407th Air Refueling Squadron, Loring AFB, Maine
4. September 1982 - May 1983, aircraft commander, 911th Air Refueling Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. May 1983 - September 1985, command post training officer/controller, 68th Air Refueling Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. October 1985 - July 1987, instructor aircraft commander, 70th Air Refueling Heavy Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
7. August 1987 - November 1990, emergency war order operations plans officer, 434th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom AFB, Ind.
8. December 1990 - August 1991, Chief, Mission Development Branch, 434th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom AFB, Ind.
9. August 1991 - August 1992, operations officer, 434th Air Refueling Support Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
10. August 1992 - April 1994, operations officer, 74th Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
11. April 1994 - August 1997, Commander, 507th Operations Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
12. August 1997 - October 1999, Commander, 931st Air Refueling Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
13. October 1999 - February 2002, Commander, 934th Airlift Wing, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport Air Reserve Station, Minn.
14. February 2002 - July 2006, Commander, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. July 2006 - present, Commander, 434th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 4,300
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135A/E/D/R and C-130E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hourglass and three "M" devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 21, 1977
First Lieutenant Nov. 21, 1979
Captain Nov. 21, 1981
Major March 10, 1989
Lieutenant Colonel June 18, 1993
Colonel Sept. 1, 1997
Brigadier General Feb. 16, 2006
(Current as of December 2007)