|MAJOR GENERAL GARRY C. DEAN|
Major General Garry Dean is the Deputy Chief of Staff Operations, Allied Joint Forces Command (JFC) Naples, Italy. JFC Naples is an operational level NATO headquarters responsible to plan and conduct one major and two small Joint Operations simultaneously primarily in the Balkans, Mediterranean and Southwest Asia regions. As the operations director he is responsible for the comprehensive planning, synchronization, execution, and assessment of all military operations in order to preserve the peace, security, and territorial integrity of Alliance member states and freedom of the seas throughout SACEUR's area of responsibility.
General Dean was commissioned in 1978 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He served in various operational and staff assignments, primarily as a T-38 instructor pilot and F-15 fighter pilot. His experience in the F-15 includes tours of duty in Pacific Air Forces, Air Combat Command, and the Oregon Air National Guard. He has commanded a fighter squadron, aircraft maintenance squadron, fighter wing, and numbered air force.
General Dean is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours, primarily in the F-15.
1978 Bachelor's degree in computer science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1984 U.S. Air Force Safety School, Norton AFB, Calif.
1992 Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Chanute AFB, Ill.
1992 Air Command and Staff College
1998 Air War College
2000 Air National Guard Financial Management Orientation Course
2006 Joint Task Force Commander's Course
2007 DOD Defense Support to Civil Authorities Course, Ft. Sam Houston, Texas
2007 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University,
Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2008 Joint DOD-DOE Nuclear Surety Executive Course, Ft. Belvoir, Va.
2009 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Senior Executive Seminar, George C. Marshall European Center for
Security Studies, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
1. December 1978 - December 1979, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. January 1980 - April 1980, student, T-38 instructor pilot training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. April 1980 - April 1983, T-38 instructor pilot, 54th Fighter Training Squadron, Reese AFB, Texas
4. April 1983 - June 1983, student, F-15 fighter lead-in training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
5. August 1983 - December 1983, student, F-15 replacement training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. January 1984 - March 1984, student, USAF Flight Safety Officer School, Norton AFB, Calif.
7. March 1984 - September 1985, F-15 pilot, 12th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
8. September 1985 - August 1987, F-15 instructor pilot, 94th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. November 1987 - March 1990, F-15 instructor pilot, 128th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Georgia ANG, Dobbins AFB, Ga.
10. March 1990 - March 1992, F-15 instructor pilot, 123rd Fighter Squadron, Oregon ANG, Portland ANGB, Ore.
11. March 1992 - September 1994, quality assurance officer and chief functional check pilot, 142nd Aircraft Generation Squadron, Portland, Ore.
12. September 1994 - October 1995, flight commander, 123rd Fighter Squadron, Portland, Ore.
13. October 1995 - October 1997, Chief of Safety, Headquarters 142nd Fighter Wing, Portland, Ore.
14. October 1997 - October 1998, Commander, 142nd Aircraft Generation Squadron, Portland, Ore.
15. October 1998 - January 2000, Commander, 123rd Fighter Squadron, Portland, Ore.
16. January 2000 - January 2001, Vice Commander, 142nd Fighter Wing, Portland, Ore.
17. January 2001 - June 2003, Commander, 142nd Fighter Wing, Portland, Ore.
18. June 2003 - July 2006, State Director of Operations, Joint Force Headquarters - Air, Salem, Ore.
19. July 2006 - January 2008, Assistant Adjutant General for Air, Joint Force Headquarters - Air, Salem, Ore., and ANG Assistant to the Commander, 1st Air Force (AFNORTH), Tyndall AFB, Fla.
20. February 2008 - November 2009, Deputy Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
21. November 2009 - August 2011, Commander, 1st Air Force (AFNORTH), and Commander, Continental U.S. North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
22. August 2011 - September 2011, special assistant to the Director, Air National Guard, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
23. October 2011 - present, Deputy Chief of Staff Operations, Allied Joint Force Command, Naples Italy
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, and F-15
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Service Ribbon - Long
Air Force Longevity Service Award with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1978
First Lieutenant May 31, 1980
Captain May 31, 1982
Major May 31, 1992
Lieutenant Colonel July 30, 1996
Colonel Oct. 6, 2000
Brigadier General May 31, 2006
Major General Dec. 5, 2008
(Current as of March 2012)