|MAJOR GENERAL (DR.) WALTER JOHN GILLER JR.|
Retired Dec. 31, 1998.
Died March 13, 2003.
Maj. Gen. (Dr.) Walter John Giller Jr. is mobilization assistant to the Surgeon General, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
General Giller was born in El Dorado, Ark., where he graduated from El Dorado High School in 1957. He served on active duty in the Air Force from 1968 to 1976 before returning to Arkansas. He was recalled to active duty in January 1991 for Operation Desert Shield as the Command Surgeon for Tactical Air Command in CONUS sustainment medical activities as well as rear echelon Desert Shield operations.
In his civilian occupation, he is in private practice as an orthopedic surgeon and is an assistant clinical professor at the University of Arkansas School of Medicine. He also currently serves as associate counselor of the Arkansas Southern Medical Association.
1963 Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
1967 Doctor of Medicine degree, University of Arkansas Medical School, Little Rock
1968 Rotating internship, Menorah Medical Center, Kansas City, Mo.
1968 Aerospace Medicine Primary Course, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
1974 Orthopedic surgery residency, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland
1982 Reserve Components National Security Course, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1986 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1986 Air War College, by correspondence
1. June 1966 - May 1967, student, Senior Medical Student Program, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of Arkansas Medical School, Little Rock
2. July 1968 - May 1969, squadron flight surgeon, 562nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
3. June 1969 - June 1970, Chief of Aerospace Medicine, McConnell AFB, Kan.
4. July 1970 - June 1974, residency in orthopedic surgery, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
5. July 1974 - June 1975, base chief hospital services and hospital flight surgeon, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. June 1975 - August 1975, acting hospital commander, Barksdale AFB, La.
7. August 1975 - September 1976, Chief of Surgery, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. October 1976 - May 1982, commander, 917th Tactical Air Command Clinic, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
9. May 1982 - October 1984, Commander, 11th Contingency Hospital, Lackland AFB, Texas
10. October 1984 - June 1989, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. May 1987 - June 1992, mobilization assistant to the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
12. June 1992 - June 1992, mobilization assistant to the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
13. June 1992 - October 1994, mobilization assistant to the Director of Medical Programs and Resources, Office of the Surgeon General, Bolling AFB, D.C.
14. October 1994 - January 1996, mobilization assistant to the Deputy Surgeon General of the Air Force, Office of the Surgeon General, Bolling AFB, D.C.
15. January 1996 - present, mobilization assistant to the Surgeon General of the Air Force, Office of the Surgeon General, Bolling AFB, D.C.
Rating: Chief flight surgeon
Flight hours: 800
Aircraft flown: C-21, KC-135A, AT-37, C-12, F-105, F-4, F-15, F-16, KC-10, C-141, C-17 and C-5
Civilian ratings: Commercial, multi-engine, instrument; flight hours, 3,325
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
National Defense Service Medal with device
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
1969 Flight Surgeon of the Year, Tactical Air Command
1979 Outstanding Reserve Aerospace Medicine Physician
1996 Uniformed Services University Barry Goldwater Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Medical Society, University of Arkansas Medical School
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 26,1966
First Lieutenant June 11,1967
Captain June 11,1970
Major Nov. 11,1972
Lieutenant Colonel June 11,1975
Colonel July 1,1980
Brigadier General April 2,1987
Major General Feb. 9,1994
(Current as of March 1997)