|MAJOR GENERAL CRAIG S. OLSON|
Major General Craig S. Olson is the Program Executive Officer for C3I and Networks, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass. In this position, he is responsible for more than 2,200 personnel and acquisition execution of a $10.9 billion portfolio developing, deploying and sustaining Air Force, joint and coalition cyberspace, networks, cryptologic and data link systems to enable decisive combat operations.
General Olson was commissioned in 1982 following graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has extensive operational, flight test and acquisition experience.
The general has flown operationally as a weapon systems officer and electronic warfare officer in the F-4E and F-4G, and as a flight test weapon systems officer in the F-15E. His acquisition tours include the JSTARS Joint Program Office, the Air Staff Special Programs Directorate, and the Navy-led V-22 Joint Program Office. He has commanded at the group and wing levels.
Prior to his current assignment, General Olson was Program Executive Officer for Business and Enterprise Systems and Director of the Enterprise Information Systems Directorate, Maxwell AFB, Gunter Annex, Ala. He is a master navigator with more than 1,900 flying hours in more than 20 different aircraft.
1982 Bachelor of Science degree in engineering mechanics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1986 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Master of Science degree in mechanical engineering, Boston University, Mass.
1991 U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
1995 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1999 Advanced Program Managers Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2007 Senior Managers Course in National Security, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2008 Executive Program Managers Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2008 Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2011 Senior Joint Information Operations Applications Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2012 Cyberspace Operations Executive Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. June 1982 - November 1983, Student, undergraduate navigator training, Tactical Navigation, and Electronic Warfare Officer Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. November 1983 - August 1984, Student, F-4 training, Homestead AFB, Fla.
3. August 1984 - May 1987, Instructor Weapon Systems Officer, 334th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. May 1987 - May 1990, Instructor and Standardization Evaluation Electronic Warfare Officer, 23rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
5. May 1990 - June 1991, Student, Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. June 1991 - July 1994, Instructor and Standardization Evaluation Flight Test Weapon Systems Officer, 415th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
7. July 1994 - June 1995, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 1995 - July 1998, Chief, Advanced Development, and Chief, Radar Technology Insertion Program, JSTARS Joint Program Office, Hanscom AFB, Mass. 9. July 1998 - June 1999, Student, College of Naval Warfare, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
10. June 1999 - January 2002, Deputy and Chief, Advanced Aircraft Survivability Division, Directorate of Special Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. January 2002 - November 2005, Deputy Program Manager and Materiel Wing Director, V-22 Joint Program Office, Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md.
12. November 2005 - April 2006, acting Commander, C-5 Systems Group, Mobility Systems Wing, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. April 2006 - February 2008, Commander, 77th Aeronautical Systems Wing, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. February 2008 - March 2009, Vice Commander, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. March 2009 - June 2010, Director, Iraq Security Assistance Mission, U.S. Forces-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
16. July 2010 - May 2011, Program Executive Officer for Enterprise Information Systems, Maxwell AFB, Gunter Annex, Ala.
17. May 2011 -August 2012, Program Executive Officer for Business and Enterprise Systems, Maxwell AFB, Gunter Annex, Ala.
18. August 2012 - present, Program Executive Officer for C3I and Networks, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
March 2009 - June 2010, Director, Iraq Security Assistance Mission, U.S. Forces-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq, as a brigadier general
Rating: Master navigator
Flight hours: More than 1,900
Aircraft flown: More than 20, primarily F-4E/G and F-15E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
"From Cradle to Save: Revolutionary Acquisition Force Structure Alternatives for the 21st Century," Defense Acquisition Review Journal, Spring 2000
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1982
First Lieutenant June 2, 1984
Captain June 2, 1986
Major July 1, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 1998
Colonel Aug. 1, 2002
Brigadier General Nov. 1, 2008
Major General June 5, 2012
(Current as of November 2012)