|BRIGADIER GENERAL KEVIN J. JACOBSEN|
Brig. Gen. Kevin J. Jacobsen is the Commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Quantico, Va. This field operating agency is responsible for providing commanders of Air Force activities independent, professional investigative services regarding fraud, counterintelligence and major criminal matters. The investigations are conducted by a worldwide network of military and civilian special agents stationed at major Air Force installations and a variety of special operating locations.
General Jacobsen entered the Air Force in 1980 as a graduate of Air Force ROTC program at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. He has spent the majority of his career as a special agent of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations where he has conducted and supervised felony-level criminal, fraud, and counterintelligence investigations and operations. He has commanded at the detachment, squadron and wing levels, and has led combat-enabling operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
General Jacobsen has also served on the Joint Staff and in the Office of the Secretary of Defense at the Pentagon. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Director, Special Investigations, Office of the Inspector General, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. He led the directorate in developing and implementing all Air Force level plans and policies concerning criminal investigations and counterintelligence operations.
1980 Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
1987 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1988 Master of Arts degree in the administration of justice, Webster University, St. Louis, Mo.
1995 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1997 Air War College, by seminar
2001 Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2004 National Security Studies, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2011 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair,
1. June 1980 - August 1984, Titan II ICBM missile launch officer and crew commander, 390th Strategic Missile Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
2. August 1984 - June 1986, Deputy Commander, AFOSI Detachment 2140, Langley AFB, Va.
3. June 1986 - June 1988, Commander, AFOSI Detachment 2101, Pope AFB, N.C.
4. June 1988 - August 1992, personal security adviser to the Secretary of the Air Force; and assistant Chief, Protective Service/Antiterrorism Branch, Headquarters AFOSI, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1992 - August 1993, Commander, Counterintelligence Support Activity, Honduras
6. August 1993 - June 1994, Commander, AFOSI Detachment 309, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. June 1994 - August 1995, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. August 1995 - June 1998, counterintelligence action officer, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. June 1998 - June 2000, Commander, AFOSI Detachment 515, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
10. June 2000 - June 2001, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2001 - November 2002, assistant Director for Current Operations, and Chief, Criminal Division, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
12. November 2002 - July 2003, Commander, 24th Expeditionary Field Investigations Squadron, Southwest Asia
13. July 2003 - June 2005, special assistant to the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, Counterintelligence and Security, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2005 - May 2007, Commander, 2nd Field Investigations Region, Langley AFB, Va.
15. May 2007 - April 2010, Director, Special Investigations Directorate, Office of the Air Force Inspector General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. April 2010 - present, Commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Quantico, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 1995 - June 1998, counterintelligence action officer, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a major and lieutenant colonel
2. July 2003 - June 2005, special assistant to the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, Counterintelligence and Security, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 24, 1980
First Lieutenant May 24, 1982
Captain Sept. 1, 1984
Major Sept. 1, 1993
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 1997
Colonel Jan. 1, 2003
Brigadier General May 7, 2010
(Current as of September 2011)