|BRIGADIER GENERAL JERRY D. HARRIS JR.|
Brig. Gen. Jerry D. Harris Jr. is Vice Commander, 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan. Fifth Air Force conducts joint and bilateral planning and engagements to defend Japan and respond to regional contingencies. In addition, the command coordinates joint and bilateral actions and exercises with U.S. Forces Japan, U.S. service components, the Japan Self Defense Forces and other Japanese organizations to strengthen bilateral interoperability. Fifth Air Force exercises administrative authority over U.S. Air Force forces in Japan.
General Harris entered the Air Force in 1985 as a graduate of the ROTC program at Washington State University. He has served as a flight commander, operations officer, weapons officer, and inspector general. The general served on the staffs of two Numbered Air Forces and one Major Command, all in operations. He has also served as the Combined Air and Space Operations Center Battle Director for operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. General Harris has commanded at squadron, group and wing levels. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
The general is a command pilot with more than 3,000 flying hours in the F-16.
1985 Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, Washington State University
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master of Science degree in aeronautical science technology, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1998 School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Master of Science degree in airpower art and science, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2001 Air War College, by correspondence
2006 National Defense College, New Delhi, India
2011 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1986 - January 1987, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. January 1987 - April 1987, student, AT-38B lead-in fighter training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. April 1987 - December 1987, student, F-16 B-Course, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. December 1987 - July 1989, Chief, Current Operations Division; squadron assistant programmer; training officer; and mobility officer, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. August 1989 - January 1992, Chief of Weapons and Tactics and air-to-surface weapons officer, Moody AFB, Ga.
6. January 1992 - February 1992, student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. February 1992 - March 1994, Chief of Mid-range Programming and student, Fighter Weapons School, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. March 1994 - June 1996, weapons and tactics flight commander; Chief of Wing Weapons; and Chief of Squadron Weapons, Eielson AFB, Alaska
9. July 1996 - July 1998, student, School of Advanced Airpower Studies and Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 1998 - September 1998, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
11. September 1998 - March 1999, NATO joint staff officer, Long-range Plans, Plans and Policy, Headquarters, Southern Region Air Command, Naples, Italy
12. March 1999 - August 2000, Chief of Strategy, Crisis Action Group, Headquarters Southern Region Air Command, Naples, Italy
13. September 2000 - January 2001, student, F-16 requalification, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. January 2001 - February 2003, operations officer and Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 20th Operations Group; and assistant Director of Operations, 79th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
15. March 2003 - February 2005, Commander, 79th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB S.C.
16. March 2005 - July 2005, Staff Director and Inspector General, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB S.C.
17. July 2005 - December 2005, Deputy Commander, 20th Operations Group, Shaw AFB S.C.
18. January 2006 - January 2007, student, National Defense College, New Delhi, India
19. January 2007 - July 2008, Commander, 505th Training Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
20. July 2008 - November 2008, Director of Air, Space and Information Operations, 13th Air Force, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
21. November 2008 - September 2009, Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
22. September 2009 - September 2010, Assistant Director of Operations, Plans, Requirements and Programs, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
23. September 2010 - September 2012, Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
24. September 2012 - present, Vice Commander, 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
September 1998 - August 2000, NATO joint staff officer, Long-range Plans, Plans and Policy; and Chief of Strategy, Crisis Action Group, Headquarters Southern Region Air Command, Naples Italy, as a major
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,000
Aircraft flown: F-16, T-37, T-38, Mig-29 and Mig-21
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with three bronze stars
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 11, 1985
First Lieutenant Sept. 1, 1987
Captain Sept. 1, 1989
Major Sept. 1, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2000
Colonel Jan. 1, 2006
Brigadier General Nov. 3, 2010
(Current as of September 2012)