|BRIGADIER GENERAL DAVID O'BRIEN|
Brig. Gen. David O'Brien is the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Space and Missile Systems Center, Air Force Space Command, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. He is responsible for assisting the Commander, who also serves as the Air Force Program Executive Officer for Space; in managing space systems research, development, acquisition, sustainment and the associated launch, command and control infrastructure. The Space and Missile Systems Center is the nation's center of technical expertise for military space acquisition with more than 5,000 military and civilian professionals nationwide and an annual budget of $10 billion.
General O'Brien was commissioned in 1981 through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program upon graduation from the University of New Hampshire. He has served in a wide variety of development, acquisition and operations roles within the Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office. His active-duty career included assignments in requirements development, engineering and program management, as well as serving as a principal contracting officer for computers, communications, directed energy and national security space systems, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and policy. His Reserve leadership responsibilities include network communications, test, maintenance, satellite on-orbit operations, acquisition and space launch. Prior to his current assignment, General O'Brien was responsible for advising the Director, Defense Contract Management Agency and senior staff in leading 10,600 military and civilian professionals at more than 700 worldwide locations managing $223 billion in contracts.
As a civilian, General O'Brien is the president of a firm specializing in strategy, innovation and operational leadership, as well as an adjunct university professor. Previously, he held global leadership positions at two major Silicon Valley IT firms, and earlier, at a prime-tier defense aerospace corporation, where he furthered several classified, civil and commercial space programs, including the then largest private equity, space-based imagery system joint venture. He is the recipient of that corporation's National Contracts Achievement Award, and is a graduate of Santa Clara University's Executive Development Institute.
1981 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, University of New Hampshire, Durham
1986 Master of Science degree in procurement and acquisition management law, Northrop University, Calif.
1987 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Business Administration degree, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, Calif.
2003 Doctor of Philosophy degree in business and organizational leadership, Regent University, Virginia Beach, Va.
2005 Air War College, by correspondence
1. February 1982 - November 1984, Systems Acquisition Contract Manager, Air Force Communications
Command, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
2. November 1984 - August 1987, Acquisition Contracting Officer, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Special Projects-8 and 9, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
3. August 1987 - October 1987, Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
4. October 1987 - March 1988, Acquisition Contracting Officer, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Special Projects-8 and 9, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
5. March 1988 - March 1990, Deputy for Contracting, Space Technology Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. March 1990 - September 1993, Acquisitions Management Officer, Air Force Space Command, Onizuka Air Force Station, Calif.
7. September 1993 - March 1999, Satellite Operations Support Engineer, Air Force Space Command, Onizuka AFS, Calif.
8. March 1999 - March 2003, Network Integration Manager, Air Force Space Command, Onizuka AFS, Calif.
9. March 2003 - March 2006, Deputy Director, Operating Manager, Air Force Space Command, Onizuka AFS, Calif.
10. March 2006 - July 2008, Senior Reservist to the Commander, Launch and Range Systems Wing, Air Force Space Command, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
11. July 2008 - June 2009, Senior Reservist to the Director, Air Force Smart Operations, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2009 - October 2009, Senior Reservist to the Director, Transformation Support, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. October 2009 - October 2012, Mobilization Assistant to the Director, Defense Contact Management Agency, Ft. Lee, Va.
14. October 2012 - present, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Space and Missile Systems Center, Air Force Space Command, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. November 1984 - August 1987, Acquisition Contracting Officer, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Special Projects-8 and 9, Los Angeles AFB, Calif., as a captain
2. October 2009 - October 2012, Mobilization Assistant to the Director, Defense Contract Management Agency, Ft. Lee, Va., as a colonel and brigadier general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hourglass and "M" device
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Adjunct faculty, Center for Executive Education, University of Tennessee
Adjunct faculty, Graduate School of Business and Leadership, Regent University
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 13, 1981
First Lieutenant Sept. 13, 1983
Captain Sept. 13, 1985
Major May 24, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel May 24, 2002
Colonel March 31, 2006
Brigadier General Dec. 22, 2010
(Current as of April 2013)