|BRIGADIER GENERAL EDWARD A. "ED" FIENGA|
Brig. Gen. Edward A. Fienga is the Deputy Director of Programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The Directorate of Programs develops, integrates, evaluates, and analyzes the Air Force Program across the Future Years Defense Plan and is responsible for maintaining the integrity and discipline of the Air Force Corporate Structure process.
Prior to his current assignment, General Fienga was the Deputy Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command where he was responsible for organizing, training, and equipping Air Force Space Command units for space and cyberspace operations and integrating space and cyber capabilities at the operational level of war.
General Fienga entered the Air Force in 1986 as a graduate of The Citadel. He has served in various capacities, including assignments as an Airborne Weapons Director on the E-3A Airborne Warning and Control System, a Legislative Fellow on Capitol Hill, a joint space combat operations planner and a programmer on the Air Staff formulating space and missile budgets. General Fienga has commanded at the squadron and Air Base Group levels.
1986 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, The Citadel, S.C., AFROTC Distinguished Graduate
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., Distinguished Graduate
1995 Master of Arts degree in human resources management & development, Webster University, Ill
1998 Intermediate Developmental Education, The Legislative Fellows Program, Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
2003 French language training, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif., Distinguished Graduate
2004 Senior Developmental Education, Royal Belgian Defense College, Brussels
2006 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2009 Executive Leadership Course, University of Virginia Darden Graduate School of Business, Charlottesville, Va.
2010 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2012 Air Force Enterprise Institute, Washington, D.C.
1. May 1987 - November 1987, Student, Undergraduate Weapons Controller Training, Tyndall AFB, Panama City, Fla.
2. November 1987 - November 1990, Airborne Weapons Director, 964th Airborne Warning and Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Oklahoma City, Okla.
3. November 1990 - March 1991, Student, Undergraduate Space Training, Lowry AFB, Denver, Colo.
4. May 1991 - May 1994, Crew Commander, Chief, Operations Training, then Chief, Missile Warning Operations, 8th Space Warning Squadron, Eldorado Air Station, Eldorado, Texas
5. May 1994 - June 1996, Chief, Radar Systems Standardization and Evaluation, then Executive Officer to the Group Commander, 21st Operations Group, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. July 1996 - September 1997, Chief, ITW/AA Concepts of Operations, Directorate of Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
7. October 1997 - December 1998, IDE Student, Georgetown University, The Legislative Fellows Program, Washington, D.C.
8. December 1998 - March 2000, Space and Missile Forces Programmer, Plans and Programs Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. April 2000 - July 2000, Student, Minuteman III Missile Operations Initial Qualification Training, 392nd Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
10. July 2000 - October 2002, Commander, 321st Missile Squadron, 90th Space Wing, Francis E. Warren AFB, Cheyenne, Wyo.
11. November 2002 - June 2003, Student, French Language Training, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
12. July 2003 - July 2004, SDE Student, Royal Belgian Defense College, Brussels
13. July 2004 - June 2005 Chief, Space Professional Management Office, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. June 2005 - June 2006, Chief, Airman Development Division, Directorate of Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. June 2006 - July 2007, Commander, 821st Air Base Group, Thule Air Base, Greenland
16. Aug 2007 - July 2010, Director, Space Combat Plans and Programs, Joint Functional Component Command-SPACE, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
17. July 2010 - December 2010, Chief, Space Force Requirements Division, Headquarters Air Force, The Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
18. January 2011 - January 2012, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
19. January 2012 - August 2012, Deputy Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Headquarters AFSPC, Peterson AFB, Colo.
20. August 2012 - present, Deputy Director of Programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2007 - July 2010, Director, Space Combat Plans and Programs, Joint Functional Component Command for Space, Vandenberg AFB, Calif., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Expeditionary Service Medal with Star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 27, 1986
First Lieutenant August 27, 1988
Captain August 27, 1990
Major September 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel February 1, 2006
Brigadier General June 4, 2012
(Current as of December 2012)