|BRIGADIER GENERAL JOHN E. MICHEL|
Brig. Gen. John E. Michel is Chief, Change and Learning Strategist, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He is responsible for developing and guiding efforts to ensure the DOD Transportation Strategy remains synchronized with National political and military priorities across the Joint Deployment and Distribution Enterprise to include infrastructure, long-range programs, future requirements, coalition integration, and mobility partnerships with industry.
General Michel entered the Air Force in 1988. He has served in a number of command and staff assignments, including USTRANSCOM Liaison to North American Aerospace Defense Command-U.S. Northern Command; Chief, Rated Staff Assignments and Deputy for Senior Officer Matters, Headquarters Air Mobility Command; and Deputy Director, Air, Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center. He has commanded a tanker squadron, expeditionary operations group and air refueling wing.
General Michel is a command pilot with more than 3,300 hours in the C-17A, C-5A/B, KC-135R/RT, C-21A, T-37B and T-38A aircraft.
1987 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Southwest Texas State University
1995 Squadron Officer's School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Master of Military Operation Art, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 DoD Executive Leadership Development Program, Washington, D.C.
2003 Air War College, Maxwell AFB Ala. (by correspondence)
2004 Case Western University Executive Education Program, Cleveland, Ohio
2005 Institute for Defense Analyses, Alexandria, Va.
2008 Doctorate in Transformational Leadership, Bakke Graduate University, Seattle, Wash.
2011 Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2011 Stanford University Supply Chain Leaders Program, Palo Alto, Calif.
2011 Senior Executive Fellow, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Boston, Mass.
2012 The Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School, Harvard University, Boston, Mass.
1. February 1988 - February 1989, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. June 1989 - December 1992, Chief of Standards and Evaluation, Detachment 1, 457th Airlift Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
3. December 1992 - August 1994, Operations Group Executive Officer, C-5 pilot, 436th Operations Group, Dover AFB, Del.
4. August 1994 - June 1995, C-5 Flight Examiner, Chief Squadron Training, 9th Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
5. July 1995 - July 1997, Deputy Assistant for Senior Officer Matters, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. July 1997 - July 1998, Chief, Rated Staff Assignments, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 1998 - June 1999, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 1999 - August 2000, Assistant Chief, Wing Plans/C-5 Aircraft Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
9. August 2000 - June 2001, Executive Leadership Development Program, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. November 2001 - April 2002, Chief of Safety, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
11. April 2002 - May 2004, Commander, 350th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
12. July 2004 - July 2005, National Defense Fellow, Institute for Defense Analyses, Alexandria, Va.
13. July 2005 - May 2007, USTRANSCOM Liaison to NORAD and NORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. May 2007 - June 2008, Vice Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C. (December 2007 - April 2008, deployed as Deputy Director, Air, CENTCOM Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Southwest Asia)
15. July 2008 - November 2009, Commander, 319th Air Refueling Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
16. November 2009 - January 2011, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. January 2011 - August 2012 Deputy Director (Military) Strategy, Policy, Programs, and Logistics Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
18. August 2012 - present, Chief, Change and Learning Strategist, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2005 - May 2007, USTRANSCOM Liaison to NORAD and NORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo. as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
2. December 2007 - April 2008, Deputy Director, Air, CENTCOM Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Southwest Asia, as a colonel
3. January 2011 - present, Chief Change and Learning Strategist and Deputy Director (Military) Strategy, Policy, Programs, and Logistics Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill., as a colonel and a brigadier general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,300
Aircraft Flown: C-17A, C-5A/B, KC-135R/RT, C-21A, T-38A, T-37B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 1, 1987
First Lieutenant Nov. 12, 1989
Captain Nov. 12, 1991
Major Aug. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2001
Colonel Aug. 1, 2005
Brigadier General June 2, 2012
(Current as of May 2013)