|MAJOR GENERAL JERROLD P. ALLEN|
Retired March 1, 1998.
Major General Jerrold P. Allen is vice commander, 21st Air Force, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.
The general was born in Palm Springs, Calif., and graduated from high school in Brattleboro, Vt. He earned a bachelor's degree in engineering management from the United States Air Force Academy in 1966 and a master's degree in business administration from Golden Gate University in 1974. He flew the B-52 and OV-10 on some 250 combat missions in Vietnam and has commanded three wings: the 319th Bombardment Wing, 96th Wing and 7th Wing.
1966 Bachelor's degree in engineering management. U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1974 Master's degree in business administration, Golden Gate University
1972 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1978 U.S. Navy Command and Staff Course, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1985 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1990 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Seminar XXI, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1967 - May 1971, B-52 pilot, 99th Bomb Wing, Westover Air Force Base, Mass.
2. May 1971 - November 1971, OV-10A forward air controller and instructor pilot, Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
3. December 1971 - October 1974, FB-111 pilot, 509th Bombardment Wing, Pease Air Force Base, N.H.
4. October 1974 - July 1978, F-111D instructor pilot, 27th Tactical Fighter Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, N.M.
5. August 1977 - July 1978, U.S. Navy Command and Staff Course, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
6. July 1978 - January 1981, plans directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. January 1981 - January 1983, commander, 393rd Bombardment Squadron, FB-111 instructor pilot, also assistant deputy commander for operations, 509th Bombardment Wing, Pease Air Force Base, N.H.
8. January 1983 - July 1984, chief, B-1 division and special assistant to the commander in chief for B-1 matters, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Base, Neb.
9. July 1984 - June 1985, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1985 - January 1987, deputy commander for B-1 affairs and vice commander, 28th Bombardment Wing, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.
11. January 1987 - May 1988, commander, 319th Bombardment Wing, Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
12. May 1988 - May 1990, Air Force member, Chairman's Staff Group, Office of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C.
13. May 1990 - June 1991, assistant deputy chief of staff for operations, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
14. June 1991 - June 1992, deputy director, National Strategic Target List, Joint Strategic Target Planning Staff, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
15. June 1992 - September 1993, commander, 96th Wing, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
16. October 1993 - July 1994, commander, 7th Wing, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
17. August 1994 - July 1996, director, plans and policy directorate, Headquarters United States European Command, Patch Barracks, Germany
18. July 1996 - present, vice commander, 21st Air Force, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 4,000
Aircraft flown: B-52, OV-10, FB-111, F-111D, B-1B and C-130
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with 13 oak clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Collaborated with three other officers in publishing a book on long-range planning
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 8, 1966
First Lieutenant Dec 8, 1967
Captain Jun 8, 1969
Major Jun 1, 1976
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 1979
Colonel Dec 1, 1983
Brigadier General Jul 1, 1990
Major General Sep 28, 1994
(Current as of February 1998)