|LIEUTENANT GENERAL RICHARD C. BETHUREM|
Retired July 1, 1998.
Lieutenant General Richard C. Bethurem is commander, Allied Air Forces Southern Europe, Naples, Italy, and commander, 16th Air Force, United States Air Forces in Europe, Aviano Air Base, Italy. He is the air principal subordinate commander and the joint and combined forces air component commander for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's (NATO) Southern Region. He is responsible for the planning and employment of NATO's air forces in the Mediterranean area of operations from Gibraltar to Eastern Turkey. He is the air commander for air operations in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
The general entered the Air Force in 1966 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. He commanded the 461st Fighter Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.; 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.; 831st Air Division, George Air Force Base, Calif.; 4404th Composite Wing, Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia; and the Air Warfare Center, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. He is a command pilot, having flown more than 4,300 hours in F-4, F-104, F-15 and F-16 aircraft, with 385 combat missions in Southeast Asia.
1966 Bachelor of science degree in humanities, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1973 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1977 Master of arts degree in counseling, Ball State University, Ind.
1980 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1985 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. September 1966 - September 1967, student, pilot training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. October 1967 - August 1968, student, F-4D combat crew training, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
3. August 1968 - September 1969, F-4C fighter pilot, 559th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Cam Ranh Bay Air Base, South Vietnam
4. September 1969 - June 1970, student, USAF F-4 Replacement Training Course, 431st Tactical Fighter Squadron, George Air Force Base, Calif.
5. July 1970 - July 1971, F-4D fighter pilot, 435th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Ubon Airfield, Thailand
6. July 1971 - May 1974, F-104G instructor pilot, 69th and 418th Tactical Flying Training squadrons, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
7. May 1974 - April 1975, NATO aircrew training standardization and evaluation officer, 7055th Operations Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
8. April 1975 - April 1977, operations staff officer, directorate of operational requirements, deputy chief of staff, operations and intelligence, Headquarters U. S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
9. April 1977 - August 1979, F-15A fighter pilot, flight commander and instructor pilot, 53rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, U. S. Air Forces in Europe, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany
10. August 1979 - June 1980, student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
11. June 1980 - May 1981, assistant operations officer, 550th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron; later, operations officer, 555th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
12. May 1981 - June 1982, chief, standardization and evaluation division; deputy commander for operations, 405th Tactical Training Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
13. June 1982 - May 1984, commander, 461st Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
14. May 1984 - August 1984, assistant deputy commander for operations, 405th Tactical Training Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
15. August 1984 - July 1985, student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
16. July 1985 - July 1986, chief, overseas bases division; later, chief, CONUS bases division, deputy chief of staff, program and resources, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. July 1986 - September 1987, deputy commander for operations, 1st Tactical Fighter Wing, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
18. September 1987 - January 1990, commander, 49th Tactical Fighter Wing, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.
19. January 1990 - April 1991, commander, 831st Air Division, George Air Force Base, Calif., and commander, USAF Tactical Air Warfare Center, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
20. April 1991 - December 1991, inspector general and deputy chief of staff, inspections, safety and security, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
21. December 1991 - May 1992, commander, 4404th Composite Wing, Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia
22. June 1992 - July 1993, commandant of cadets, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
23. July 1993 - June 1994, director of plans, deputy chief of staff, plans and operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
24. July 1994 - March 1996, commander, U.S. Air Force Air Warfare Center, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
25. April 1996 - present, commander, Allied Air Forces Southern Europe (NATO), Naples, Italy, and commander, 16th Air Force (USAFE), Aviano Air Base, Italy
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,300
Aircraft flown: F-4, F-104, F-15 and F-16
Pilot wings from: Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with 21 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with eight service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 8, 1966
First Lieutenant Dec 8, 1967
Captain Jun 8, 1969
Major Jan 1, 1978
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1980
Colonel Oct 1, 1985
Brigadier General Apr 1, 1991
Major General Aug 1, 1993
Lieutenant General Apr 9, 1996
(Current as of June 1996)