|MAJOR GENERAL SCOTT S. CUSTER|
Retired May 1, 2007.
Maj. Gen. Scott S. Custer is Vice Director of the Joint Staff and concurrently serves as the Joint Staff Director of Management. In this position, he assists the Director of the Joint Staff and provides oversight to Joint Staff support activities, including administration and action management, budget, information technology and services, support services, and security.
A 1976 graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, General Custer has enjoyed a diverse career. In addition to his stateside assignments, he has served in Europe, Asia and Latin America. He has had various operational assignments to include serving as an operational squadron commander and as a vice wing commander. General Custer has served as a plans and programs director, and in staff and management positions at combatant command, Air Staff and Joint Staff levels. He is a fully qualified joint specialty officer.
1976 Bachelor's degree in history, Virginia Military Institute, Lexington
1981 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1982 Master's degree in management and human relations, Webster University, St. Louis, Mo.
1984 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1987 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1988 Outstanding graduate, Air War College, by seminar
1994 National Defense Fellow, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
1999 Advanced Management Program, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa.
1. April 1977 - August 1977, student, Air Weapons Controller School, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2. September 1977 - August 1979, weapons controller and weapons director, 26th Air Division, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. August 1979 - August 1980, senior controller, Command Advisory Function and Korean Tactical Air Control Systems Warning and Control Center, 314th Air Division, Osan Air Base, South Korea
4. August 1980 - August 1982, weapons application staff officer, Offensive Operations Division, Operations Directorate, Headquarters Electronic Security Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
5. August 1982 - August 1983, Chief, Readiness Inspection Division, Inspector General's Team, Electronic Security Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
6. August 1983 - June 1985, Chief, Tactical Applications Branch, 6912th Electronic Security Group, Berlin, West Germany
7. June 1985 - August 1986, operations officer, 6912th Electronic Security Group, Tempelhof Central Airport, Berlin, West Germany
8. August 1986 - February 1987, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
9. February 1987 - August 1990, joint tactical operations planner, Architecture Directorate, Headquarters Joint Tactical Command, Control and Communications Agency, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1990 - August 1992, Commander, 621st Air Control Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
11. August 1992 - July 1993, Deputy Chief, Combat Integration Division, Forces Directorate, Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Plans and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. July 1993 - August 1994, student, National Defense Fellow Program, Air Force Institute of Technology, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
13. August 1994 - May 1995, Chief, Revolutionary Planning Division, Modeling, Simulation and Analysis Directorate, Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Plans and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. May 1995 - January 1996, Chief, Joint Requirements Oversight Council Issues and Actions Division, Requirements Directorate, Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Plans and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. January 1996 - May 1997, Vice Commander, 93rd Air Control Wing, Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System, Robins AFB, Ga.
16. May 1997 - October 1998, Director of Programs and Resources(J-8), U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fla.
17. October 1998 - March 2000, Deputy Director, Politico-Military Affairs for Global and Multilateral Affairs, and the Western Hemisphere, Directorate of Strategic Plans and Policy, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
18. March 2000 - May 2001, Deputy Director for Operations, National Military Command Center, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
19. June 2001 - June 2002, Director of Plans and Programs, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
20. June 2002 - June 2003, Deputy Director, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
21. June 2003 - October 2005, Director, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
22. October 2005 - present, Vice Director, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army of Occupation Medal (Berlin)
Korea Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 6, 1977
First Lieutenant Dec. 2, 1978
Captain Dec. 2, 1980
Major May 1, 1985
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 1988
Colonel Jan. 1, 1994
Brigadier General Oct. 1, 2000
Major General Sept. 1, 2003
(Current as of May 2007)