|LIEUTENANT GENERAL DANIEL J. DARNELL|
Retired March 1, 2012.
Lt. Gen. Daniel J. Darnell is Deputy Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii.
General Darnell earned a bachelor's degree in history from the Virginia Military Institute, and received his commission after completing the Air Force ROTC program as a distinguished graduate. He was equally honored after completing undergraduate pilot training. He has commanded wide ranging diverse organizations from combat units to space operations at the squadron, group, wing and warfare center levels. The general has served as a division chief in the Operations Directorate on theJoint Staff, and was the commander and leader of the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, the Thunderbirds.
General Darnell has flown combat missions in Iraq, enforcing no-fly zones during operations Northern and Southern Watch. In 2003, he was the Senior Director of the Combined Air Operations Center at Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia, during the opening weeks and months of Operation Iraqi Freedom. He is a command pilot with more than 4,500 flying hours, primarily in the F-15A/B/C/D and F-16C/D. Prior to his current assignment, the general served as the Deputy Chief of Staff for Air, Space and Information Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
1975 Bachelor of Arts degree in history, Virginia Military Institute, Lexington
1983 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1984 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1995 Master of Science degree in national security policy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2004 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Program for Senior Executives in National and International Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2007 Combined Forces Land Component Commander Course, Army War College, Carlisle, Pa.
2007 Defense Policy Seminar, Elliott School of International Affairs, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1. April 1976 - April 1977, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. May 1977 - June 1977, student, fighter lead-in training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. July 1977 - December 1977, student, F-15 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. January 1978 - October 1979, F-15 pilot, 7th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
5. October 1979 - February 1982, F-15 pilot, flight examiner and F-15 aerial demonstration pilot, 44th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
6. March 1982 - June 1982, student, F-15 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. July 1982 - June 1983, weapons officer, 44th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
8. June 1983 - April 1986, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, later, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 318th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
9. May 1986 - June 1989, flight commander, later, Chief, Aerial Attack Department, later, assistant operations officer, F-15 Division, U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. July 1989 - July 1991, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
11. July 1991 - October 1991, student, F-16 Fighter Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
12. January 1992 - January 1994, Commander and Leader, U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, the Thunderbirds, Nellis AFB, Nev.
13. January 1994 - June 1994, Chief of Staff, 57th Fighter Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
14. July 1994 - June 1995, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. June 1995 - May 1997, Assistant Division Chief, Forces Division, later, Chief, European Division, Operations Directorate (J3), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. May 1997 - November 1998, Commander, 12th Operations Group, Randolph AFB, Texas
17. November 1998 - January 2000, Commander, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
18. January 2000 - June 2001, Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
19. June 2001 - June 2003, Commander, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev. (February 2003 - May 2003, Senior Director, Combined Air Operations Center, Prince Sultan AB, Saudi Arabia)
20. June 2003 - August 2005, Commander, Space Warfare Center, Schriever AFB, Colo.
21. September 2005 - October 2007, Director, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
22. November 2007 - June 2009, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air, Space and Information Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
23. July 2009 - present, Deputy Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 1995 - May 1997, Assistant Division Chief, Forces Division, later, Chief, European Division, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
2. February 2003 - May 2003, Senior Director, Combined Air Operations Center, Prince Sultan AB, Saudi Arabia, as a brigadier general
3. July 2009 - present, Deputy Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a lieutenant general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,500
Aircraft flown: F-15A/B/C/D and F-16C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 15, 1975
First Lieutenant Dec. 10, 1977
Captain Dec. 10, 1979
Major May 1, 1986
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 1991
Colonel Feb. 1, 1995
Brigadier General Aug. 1, 2001
Major General June 1, 2005
Lieutenant General Nov. 19, 2007
(Current as of September 2010)