|LIEUTENANT GENERAL DANIEL JAMES III|
Retired June 5, 2006.
Lt. Gen. Daniel James III is Director, Air National Guard, Arlington, Va. The general is responsible for formulating, developing and coordinating all policies, plans and programs affecting more than 106,800 Guard members in more than 88 flying units and 200 geographically separated units throughout the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands.
General James earned his commission as a distinguished graduate of the University of Arizona's ROTC program in 1968. The general is a command pilot with approximately 4,000 hours in fighter and trainer aircraft. A combat veteran with two Distinguished Flying Crosses, General James completed two active-duty tours in Southeast Asia, logging 500 combat hours as a forward air controller and F-4 Phantom aircraft commander.
Prior to becoming ANG Director, General James was the Adjutant General for Texas National Guard headquarters.
1968 Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology, University of Arizona, Tucson
1981 Air Command and Staff College
1992 National Security Management Course
1. June 1968 - June 1969, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. June 1969 - August 1970, forward air controller, Cam Ranh Bay Air Base, South Vietnam
3. August 1970 - July 1972, squadron instructor pilot, Williams AFB, Ariz.
4. July 1972 - February 1973, squadron flight training class commander, Williams AFB, Ariz.
5. February 1973 - December 1973, air operations staff officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. December 1973 - June 1974, U.S. Air Force conversion training course, George AFB, Calif.
7. June 1974 - May 1975, squadron assistant flight commander, Udorn Royal Thai AFB, Thailand
8. May 1975 - August 1976, squadron pilot, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. August 1976 - September 1978, squadron flight commander, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. September 1978 - September 1979, weapons tactics officer, 149th Tactical Fighter Group, Kelly AFB, Texas
11. September 1979 - March 1982, group pilot, later, unit pilot, 182nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
12. March 1982 - December 1983, unit commander, 182nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
13. December 1983 - October 1988, Commander, A flight, 182nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
14. October 1988 - October 1989, pilot, C flight, 182nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
15. October 1989 - December 1992, command post assistant officer-in-charge, later, command post officer-in-charge, 149th Tactical Fighter Group, Kelly AFB, Texas
16. December 1992 - December 1994, Vice Commander, 149th Tactical Fighter Wing, Kelly AFB, Texas
17. December 1994 - November 1995, Commander, 149th Operations Group, Kelly AFB, Texas
18. November 1995 - June 2002, Adjutant General, Headquarters Texas National Guard, Austin
19. June 2002 - present, Director, Air National Guard, Arlington, Va.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: Approximately 4,000 hours
Aircraft flown: T-39, T-37, T-38, O-1E, F-5E, F-4 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Presidential Unit Citation
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with two bronze stars
Vietnam Service Medal with four bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with silver and three bronze oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with gold hourglass
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Vietnam Gallantry Cross with silver star
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
1995 Black United Fund of Texas Garvey-Woodson Award
1995 - 1996 Outstanding Service Award, Texas STARBASE Executive Advisory Board
1997 Benjamin D. Foulois First Flight Award, Air Force Association-Texas
1997 - 1998 Central Texas Combined Federal Campaign Community Service Award
1998 and 1999 Honored Patriot Award, Selective Service System
1999 Commendation for Military Service, Joint Session of the Texas Legislature
1999 The Palmetto Patriot Award, South Carolina
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
1998 - 1999 Chairman, Greater Austin Quality Council
Board of Directors, Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce
"Military-State Partnerships: A Winning Relationship for All," National Guard Review, 1997
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 6, 1968
First Lieutenant June 5, 1971
Captain June 5, 1975
Major June 5, 1982
Lieutenant Colonel March 19, 1987
Colonel Dec. 14, 1992
Brigadier General Sept. 25, 1996
Major General Oct. 10, 1998
Lieutenant General June 3, 2002
(Current as of February 2006)