|BRIGADIER GENERAL (DR.) RUSSELL J. KILPATRICK|
Retired Oct. 1, 2006.
Brig. Gen. (Dr.) Russell J. Kilpatrick is Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va. General Kilpatrick is responsible to the Commander of Air Combat Command for the health of ACC's global team through worldwide medical contingency operations and a comprehensive, community-based health care system. The general is also the U.S. Central Command Air Forces, U.S. Southern Command Air Forces and U.S. Northern Command Air Forces surgeon, responsible to the commanders for providing medical services to deploying Combat Air Force forces.
General Kilpatrick was born in Beaver Falls, Pa. He received his bachelor's degree in economics in 1972 from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill on a Morehead Scholarship. He earned his Doctor of Medicine degree from Duke University Medical School in 1975. The general received a direct commission in the Air Force in June 1977, and completed the Aerospace Medicine Primary Course at Brooks AFB, Texas, in September 1977.
General Kilpatrick is a board-certified dermatologist and flight surgeon with more than 1,100 flying hours in a variety of aircraft.
1972 Bachelor of Arts degree in economics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1975 Doctor of Medicine degree, Duke University Medical School, Durham, N.C.
1977 General surgery internship, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
1982 Residency in dermatology, Wilford Hall U.S. Air Force Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
1991 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. October 1977 - June 1979, flight surgeon, 334th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
2. July 1979 - June 1982, resident in dermatology, Wilford Hall U.S. Air Force Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. August 1982 - February 1984, Chief, Dermatology Services, 401st Tactical Fighter Wing Hospital, Torrejon Air Base, Spain
4. March 1984 - June 1985, quality assurance officer, 401st Tactical Fighter Wing Hospital, Torrejon AB, Spain
5. July 1985 - April 1988, Commander, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing Clinic, Geilenkirchen AB, West Germany
6. May 1988 - August 1990, Commander, 380th Strategic Hospital, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
7. August 1990 - June 1991, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
8. July 1991 - August 1992, Chief, Division C, Directorate of Medical Inspections, Headquarters Air Force Inspection Agency, Norton AFB, Calif.
9. August 1992 - August 1995, Director, Aerospace Operations Medicine, and Chief, Professional Services, Office of the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. August 1995 - May 1997, Vice Commander, 59th Medical Wing, Wilford Hall U.S. Air Force Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. June 1997 - July 2000, Command Surgeon, U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany
12. July 2000 - December 2001, Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
13. January 2002 - present, Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
Rating: Chief flight surgeon
Flight hours: More than 1,130
Aircraft flown: T-1, T-6, T-37, T-38, T-43A, UH-1N, UH-60, B-52, C-9, C-12, C-20, C-21, C-22, C-47, C-130, C-141, O-2, KC-135, F-4E, FB-111, F-15, F-16, E-3A and E-4A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Humanitarian Service Medal with bronze star
1982 Certified, American Board of Dermatology
Fellow, American Academy of Dermatology
Member, Aerospace Medical Association
Member, American College of Physician Executives
Member, Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
Member, The Royal Society of Medicine, United Kingdom
Member, Christian Medical-Dental Association
1988 - 1989 Paul W. Meyers Award honoring Outstanding Physician Assistance Preceptor of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain June 30, 1977
Major June 30, 1981
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 30, 1985
Colonel Sept. 30, 1991
Brigadier General Aug. 1, 2002
(Current as of September 2006)