|LIEUTENANT GENERAL JOHN M. NOWAK|
Retired July 1, 1995.
Lieutenant General John M. Nowak is deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. As deputy chief of staff, he directs the war planning, policy development, and justification and allocation of resources for worldwide logistics support for the U.S. Air Force. He serves as adviser to the secretary of defense, secretary of the Air Force, and chief of staff of the Air Force on all logistics issues. In addition, General Nowak serves as chairman of the board of the Army and Air Force Exchange Service.
The general received a regular commission in the Air Force in 1963 as a distinguished military graduate of Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. During his career, he has held command or staff positions at every level of logistics management.
1963 Bachelor of arts degree in sociology and political science, Aquinas College, Mich.
1966 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1973 Master's degree in management, University of Southern California
1977 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1978 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1983 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1985 Executive Management Program, Kellogg School of Business, Northwestern University, Ill.
1991 Senior Managers in Government Course, Harvard University, Mass.
1993 Defense Policy Seminar, Harvard University, Mass.
1. September 1963 - June 1964, student, Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas; and Aircraft Maintenance Officer Training, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
2. June 1964 - April 1967, commander, 419th Field Training Detachment, Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
3. May 1967 - August 1968, maintenance staff officer, 34th Air Division, Custer Air Force Station, Mich.
4. August 1968 - August 1969, squadron maintenance officer, 483rd Tactical Airlift Wing, Cam Ranh Bay Air Base, South Vietnam
5. August 1969 - January 1970, maintenance staff officer, Headquarters 10th Air Force, Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo.
6. January 1970 - February 1971, director of maintenance, 25th Air Division, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
7. February 1971 - July 1973, maintenance staff officer, later, executive officer to the deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
8. July 1973 - August 1977, project manager, C-141 and C-5 modification programs, and executive officer for the director of maintenance, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1977 - February 1978, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
10. February 1978 - February 1981, initial F-16 activation, 388th Tactical Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah. While at the wing, he commanded the Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Component Repair Squadron and Aircraft Generation Squadron. He completed the tour as wing assistant deputy commander for maintenance.
11. February 1981 - August 1982, deputy commander for maintenance, 474th Tactical Fighter Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
12. August 1982 - July 1983, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. August 1983 - July 1984, chief, aircraft division, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah. He was responsible for programmed depot maintenance and major modification of F-4s, F-16s and Minuteman and Peacekeeper missiles.
14. July 1984 - January 1986, director of maintenance, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
15. January 1986 - June 1989, deputy chief of staff for maintenance, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
16. June 1989 - May 1992, deputy chief of staff for logistics and engineering, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
17. June 1992 - August 1992, deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
18. August 1992 - June 1993, director of supply, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
19. June 1993 - present, deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sep 24, 1963
First Lieutenant Mar 24, 1965
Captain Apr 1, 1967
Major Jun 1, 1974
Lieutenant Colonel Apr 1, 1979
Colonel Jul 1, 1981
Brigadier General Jun 1, 1987
Major General Oct 1, 1989
Lieutenant General Jun 1, 1993
(Current as of April 1995)