|BRIGADIER GENERAL DAVID L. YOUNG|
Retired April 1, 1997.
Brigadier General David L. Young is commander of the 2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale Air Force Base, La. He is responsible for maintaining the wing in a state of constant readiness to carry out bombardment operations on a global scale. He does this by ensuring the organization, training and equipage of a combined active-duty and civilian force of more than 8,000 people assigned to the wing.
The general enlisted in the Air Force in October 1967, then was commissioned upon completing Officer Training School as a distinguished graduate in September 1968. He flew 150 combat missions over Southeast Asia during several temporary duty assignments, served on the faculty of the Air War College and held a staff position at the U.S. Army's Forces Command.
1968 Bachelor of science degree in business administration, Virginia Polytechnic Institute
1973 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1975 Master's degree in business administration, Central Michigan University
1986 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1967 - September 1968, enlisted service, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. November 1968 - November 1969, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
3. June 1970 - July 1974, B-52 co-pilot and aircraft commander, later standardization and evaluation instructor pilot, 325th Bombardment Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
4. July 1974 - July 1975, Air Staff training officer, personnel division, Office of the Air Force Reserve, Washington, D.C.
5. July 1975 - January 1978, chief of flight training, later chief of standardization and evaluation, 62nd Bombardment Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. January 1978 - June 1981, personnel programs officer, later Chief, Programs Branch, Headquarters Air Force Manpower and Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. June 1981 - January 1984, flight commander and operations officer, 23rd Bombardment Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
8. January 1984 - June 1985, Commander, 62nd Bombardment Squadron, later Assistant Deputy Commander for Operations, 2nd Bombardment Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
9. June 1985 - June 1986, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 1986 - June 1987, faculty member, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 1987 - May 1989, Deputy Commander for Operations, later Vice Commander, 7th Bombardment Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
12. May 1989 - May 1991, Commander, 5th Bombardment Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
13. May 1991 - September 1991, Commander, 57th Air Division, Minot AFB, N.D.
14. September 1991 - November 1991, Commander, 5th Wing, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
15. November 1991 - August 1994, Director of Plans, Policy and Programming, later Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters Forces Command, Fort McPherson, Ga.
16. August 1994 - present, Commander, 2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 5,500
Aircraft flown: T-38, T-39, KC-135 and B-52
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Presidential Unit Citation with "V" device and oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with three service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sep 24, 1968
First Lieutenant Sep 24, 1970
Captain Sep 24, 1971
Major Oct 18, 1978
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 1982
Colonel Apr 1, 1988
Brigadier General Feb 1, 1993
(Current as of February 1995)