|MAJOR GENERAL KEVIN J. KENNEDY|
Retired Nov. 1, 2010.
Maj. Gen. Kevin J. Kennedy is the Director, Joint Capability Development Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va. He serves as lead joint integrator for all of the Department of Defense's uniformed components, and he oversees the Joint Command and Control Capability Portfolio Management program.
General Kennedy is a 1978 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels, including the 40th Air Expeditionary Wing. He gained extensive interagency expertise while serving as the deputy, then acting Chief of Staff for Intelligence at the Headquarters U.S. Air Force level and while commanding the Air Force C2ISR center. He garnered extensive international experience while augmenting U.S. Air Forces Europe during Operation Allied Force, then while serving as the Afghanistan ACCE to the NATO sponsored Commander of the International Security Assistance Force.
His joint experience also includes two tours at U.S. Strategic Command. His command and control experience includes command of the Air Force C2ISR Center which was reformed to the Global Cyberspace Integration Center during his tenure.
General Kennedy is a command pilot with 3,600 hours, including 145 combat hours in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
1978 Bachelor's degree in management, U. S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1987 Master's degree in human resources, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1991 College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1992 Master's degree in national security and strategic studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1996 National Security Fellowship, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2006 Program for Senior Executives in National and International Security, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. November 1978 - November 1979, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. December 1979 - November 1983, T-37 instructor pilot, check pilot, and standardization and evaluation pilot, 64th Flying Training Wing, Reese AFB, Texas
3. November 1983 - November 1984, Air Staff Training officer, Washington, D.C.
4. November 1984 - December 1988, B-52 aircraft commander, instructor pilot and Chief of Training, 23rd Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
5. December 1988 - February 1990, B-1B/B-52 strategic employment planner, Offutt AFB, Neb.
6. February 1990 - June 1991, Chief, Joint Strategic Target Planning Staff, Strategic Briefing Branch, Offutt AFB, Neb.
7. June 1991 - June 1992, student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport, R.I.
8. July 1992 - March 1993, Chief, Bomber Academic Training, 329th Crew Training Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
9. March 1993 - July 1993, Chief, Wing Safety, 93rd Bomb Wing, Castle AFB, Calif.
10. July 1993 - December 1993, operations officer, 34th Bomb Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
11. January 1994 - July 1995, Commander, 85th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
12. July 1995 - June 1996, Harvard National Security Fellowship, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
13. June 1996 - March 1997, Deputy Commander, 509th Operations Group, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
14. March 1997 - July 1998, Commander, 608th Air Operations Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
15. July 1998 - April 2000, Division Chief, Checkmate, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Training, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. April 2000 - November 2001, Director, Chief of Staff of Air Force's Operations Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. December 2001 - July 2003, Commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D. (August 2002 - December 2002, Commander, 40th Expeditionary Wing)
18. July 2003 - January 2005, Director for Plans and Policy (J5), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
19. January 2005 - February 2006, Deputy Director of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
20. March 2006 - June 2006, acting Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
21. June 2006 - April 2007, Commander, Air Force Command and Control, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Center, Langley AFB, Va.
22. April 2007 - July 2007, Commander, Air Force Global Cyberspace Integration Center, Langley AFB, Va.
23. August 2007 - July 2008, Director, Air Component Coordination Element, Air Combat Command, Kabul, Afghanistan
24. July 2008 - present, Director, Joint Capability Development Directorate (J8), U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. December 1988 - February 1990, B-1B/B-52 strategic employment planner, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a major
2. February 1990 - June 1991, Chief, Strategic Briefing Branch, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a major
3. July 2003 - January 2005, Director for Plans and Policy (J5), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a brigadier general
4. July 2007 - July 2008, Director, Air Component Coordination Element, Air Force Central Command, Kabul, Afghanistan, as a major general
5. July 2008 - present, Director, Joint Capability Development Directorate, U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va., as a major general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 3,600, including 145 combat hours
Aircraft flown: B-2, B-52, T-37 and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
1979 Distinguished graduate, undergraduate pilot training
1991 Distinguished graduate, College of Naval Command and Staff
2003 Air Combat Command nominee for the Air Force's General and Mrs. Jerome F. O'Malley Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1978
First Lieutenant May 31, 1980
Captain May 31, 1982
Major Dec. 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 1993
Colonel Jan. 1, 1998
Brigadier General Oct. 1, 2003
Major General July 3, 2006
(Current as of July 2009)