|BRIGADIER GENERAL FRANCIS M. "FRANK" BRUNO|
Retired Oct. 1, 2008.
Brig. Gen. Francis M. "Frank" Bruno is Director of Logistics, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is responsible for all depot maintenance, supply management and sustainment transformation activities within the command. He develops and directs policy and procedures for major overhaul, repair, and modification of weapon systems and spare parts. The depot maintenance activity is valued in excess of $6.5 billion in annual revenue and employs more than 35,000 people at the command's three air logistics centers. He establishes guidance relating to the Air Force's retail and wholesale supply chain management of spare parts, valued at more than $5.8 billion. In addition, he directs policy and procedures for AFMC aircraft maintenance, munitions, supply, logistics plans, transportation, packaging, and fielding and sustaining AFMC logistics data systems. As the staff lead for logistics and lifecycle sustainment issues, General Bruno plans and coordinates product support and acquisition logistics for all fielded and emerging Air Force weapon systems.
General Bruno is from Marion, Ohio, where he graduated from Marion Catholic High School. He entered the Air Force in 1979, receiving his commission through the ROTC program at the College of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minn. He has served at various levels throughout the Air Force including command of three maintenance squadrons, a maintenance group and a maintenance wing. He has twice served at the Pentagon and on two major command headquarters staffs.
1979 Bachelor of Arts degree in education, College of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minn.
1982 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1986 Master's degree in administration and management, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1993 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master's degree in national security and strategic studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1997 Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2003 Advance Management Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1. August 1979 - December 1979, student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
2. December 1979 - June 1981, assistant officer in charge, 561st Aircraft Maintenance Unit, George AFB, Calif.
3. June 1981 - June 1982, officer in charge, 20th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, George AFB, Calif.
4. June 1982 - June 1983, officer in charge, 21st Aircraft Maintenance Unit, George AFB, Calif.
5. June 1983 - December 1985, officer in charge, 4th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Hill AFB, Utah
6. December 1985 - December 1986, Air Staff Training officer, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. December 1986 - August 1989, staff officer, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
8. August 1989 - August 1990, maintenance supervisor, 8th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
9. August 1990 - November 1990, maintenance supervisor, 58th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
10. November 1990 - September 1991, Commander, 58th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. September 1991 - July 1992, Commander, 58th Logistics Support Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
12. July 1992 - June 1993, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 1993 - July 1995, staff officer, later, executive officer, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. July 1995 - July 1996, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
15. July 1996 - July 1997, Commander, 654th Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
16. July 1997 - April 1999, System Support Manager, Airborne Warning and Control System, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
17. April 1999 - April 2000, Director of Aircraft, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
18. April 2000 - October 2001, Commander, 56th Logistics Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
19. October 2001 - August 2003, C-5 System Program Director, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
20. August 2003 - May 2004, Director, Strategic Airlift, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
21. May 2004 - July 2006, Commander, 76th Maintenance Wing, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
22. July 2006 - June 2007, Director of Logistics, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
23. June 2007 - present, Director of Logistics, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 19, 1979
First Lieutenant Aug. 19, 1981
Captain Aug. 19, 1983
Major Dec. 1, 1989
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 1994
Colonel Sept. 1, 1998
Brigadier General Oct. 1, 2005
(Current as of July 2007)