|CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT OF THE AIR FORCE RODNEY J. MCKINLEY|
Retired Nov. 1, 2009.
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Rodney J. McKinley represents the highest enlisted level of leadership, and as such, provides direction for the enlisted corps and represents their interests, as appropriate, to the American public, and to those in all levels of government. He serves as the personal adviser to the Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Air Force on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness, morale, and proper utilization and progress of the enlisted force. Chief McKinley is the 15th chief master sergeant appointed to the highest noncommissioned officer position.
Chief McKinley grew up in Mount Orab, Ohio. He originally entered the Air Force in 1974, took a break in service in 1977, and re-entered the Air Force in 1982. His background includes various duties in medical and aircraft maintenance, and as a first sergeant and command chief master sergeant at wing, numbered air force and major command levels. His assignments include bases in North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Virginia, Alaska and Hawaii. The chief also served overseas in the Philippines, Italy and Germany, and deployed to Southwest Asia in support of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Before assuming his current position, he served as Command Chief Master Sergeant, Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii. He was appointed to the position of Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force on June 30, 2006.
1984 Tactical Air Command NCO Leadership School, Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C.
1986 Associate of Arts degree, Saint Leo College, Fla.
1986 Associate degree in aircraft maintenance technology, Community College of the Air Force
1986 Bachelor's degree in human resource management, Saint Leo College, Fla.
1987 Tactical Air Command NCO Academy, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
1991 U.S. Air Force First Sergeant Academy, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1997 U.S. Air Force Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 Associate degree in personnel management, Community College of the Air Force
1999 Master's degree in human relations, University of Oklahoma
2004 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, San Diego, Calif.
2004 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Gettysburg College, Pa.
2006 Keystone - National Defense University, Suffolk, Va.
2007 Air Force Enterprise Management Seminar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
1. July 1974 - August 1974, student, basic military training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. August 1974 - November 1974, medical service specialist technical training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. November 1974 - August 1977, emergency room technician, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. August 1977 - April 1982, separated from the Air Force
5. April 1982 - June 1982, aircraft maintenance technology technical training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
6. June 1982 - June 1987, phase dock inspector, maintenance instructor, quality assurance inspector, noncommissioned officer in charge of aircraft weight and balance and functional check flights, 354th Tactical Fighter Wing, Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C.
7. June 1987 - June 1991, dedicated crew chief, quality assurance inspector, noncommissioned officer in charge aircraft weight and balance and functional check flights, chief inspector of quality assurance, 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Clark Air Base, Philippines
8. June 1991 - June 1992, First Sergeant, 354th Communications and Services squadrons, Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C.
9. June 1992 - January 1994, First Sergeant, 401st Munitions Support Squadron, Ghedi AB, Italy
10. January 1994 - July 2000, First Sergeant, 3rd Combat Communications Support Squadron, 965th Airborne Air Control Squadron, 552nd Equipment Maintenance Squadron, and 552nd Aircraft Generation Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
11. July 2000 - July 2001, First Sergeant, 723rd Air Mobility Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
12. August 2001 - September 2002, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
13. September 2002 - June 2004, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va. (February 2003 - June 2003, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia)
14. June 2004 - March 2005, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 11th Air Force, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
15. March 2005 - June 2006, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
16. June 2006 - June 2009, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and silver and three bronze oak leaf clusters
1984 John Levitow and Esprit de Corps winner, NCO Leadership School
1985 Maintenance Professional of the Year for Quality Assurance, 354th Tactical Fighter Wing
1990 Maintenance Professional of the Year, 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing
1994 First Sergeant of the Year, 3rd Combat Communications Group
1994 First Sergeant of the Year, 12th Air Force
1996 First Sergeant of the Year, 552nd Air Control Wing
1996 First Sergeant of the Year, Tinker AFB, Okla.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force June 30, 2006
(Current as of August 2009)