|MAJOR GENERAL FREDERICK MARTIN|
Retired Aug. 1, 1944.
General Martin was born in Liberty, Ind., on Nov. 26, 1882. He graduated from Purdue University in 1908, and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Coast Artillery Corps.
He first served with the 92nd Company, Coast Artillery, and the 26th Company, Coast Artillery, at Fort Flagler, Wash., to Dec. 29, 1912. He attended the Coast Artillery School, Fort Monroe, Va., from Dec. 29, 1912, to Nov. 9, 1913, and upon graduation joined the 150th Company at Fort Ward, Washington, D.C., where he remained until Jan. 1, 1916.
General Martin was ordered to Hawaii for duty with the 143rd Company, and was stationed at Fort Kamehameha until Oct. 3, 1917, when he returned to the United States for duty as Chief, Materiel Supply Section, in the Office f the Chief Signal Officer, and Director, Military Aeronautics, Washington, D.C., to Aug. 19, 1918.
The general sailed for France the last of August 1918 where he served in the Supply Section, Paris, until February 1919. Upon his return to the United States, he was assigned to duty in the Property Division, Office of the Director of Air Service, Washington, D.C., until Aug. 23, 1920, and as instructor, Air Service and Air Service Pilots School, Langley Field, Va., until April 16, 1921. He attended the Air Service Pilots School and Bombardment School, Kelly Field, Texas, to June 30, 1921.
He was Commandant, Air Service Mechanics School at Chanute Field, Ill., to Oct. 4, 1921; and then was appointed Commanding Officer of the U.S. Air Service Around-the-World Flight, which started on April 6, 1924. He was forced to relinquish command of the expedition on April 24, 1924, when the plane he was piloting crashed on the side of a mountain in Alaska. Although only slightly injured, Colonel Martin and his mechanic suffered many hardships during the next 10 days in their attempt to reach the nearest settlement on foot.
He returned to the United States on June 30, 1924, and on Oct. 11, 1924, attended the Air Service Tactical School, Langley Field, Va., graduating on Aug. 3, 1925. He attended the Command and General Staff School, Fort Leavenworth, graduating June 30, 1926. He then commanded Bolling Field, D.C., until March 30, 1927. He was Chief, Inspection Division, Office of the Chief of Air Corps, Washington, D.C., to July 7, 1930; Commandant, Air Corps Advanced Flying School, Kelly Field, to Sept. 22, 1931; and Commandant, Air Corps Primary Flying School, Randolph Field, Texas, to July 3, 1934.
He attended the Army War College, graduating on June 28, 1935, and was then assigned to duty as Executive Officer, Air Corps Materiel Division, and Commanding Officer, Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio, in which capacity he served until March 31, 1937, when he assumed command of the 3rd Wing, General Headquarters Air Force, Barksdale Field, La. On Oct. 1, 1940, he was promoted to major general (temporary) and assigned on Oct. 4, 1940, to duty as Commander of the Hawaiian Air Force. He was assigned as Commanding General of the 2nd Air Force, with headquarters at Fort George Wright, on Jan. 26, 1942.
First lieutenant, March 11, 1911; captain, July 1, 1916; major (temporary), Aug. 5, 1917. He reverted to his permanent rank of captain on March 15, 1920, and was promoted to major, Regular Army, on July 1, 1920; lieutenant colonel, Aug. 31, 1933; colonel (temporary), June 15, 1935; brigadier general (temporary), Feb. 15, 1937; major general (temporary), Oct. 1, 1940.
(Current as of February 1942)