|BRIGADIER GENERAL JAMES P. SCANLAN|
Brig. Gen. James P. Scanlan is Deputy for Inaugural Support, Joint Task Force-National Capital Region. In this role, he is responsible to the JTF Commander for all ceremonial support to the 57th Presidential Inauguration.
General Scanlan was commissioned through the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps, Villanova University in 1985. Following Basic Naval Flight Officer Training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla., and Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif., he was designated a Naval Flight Officer in August 1986. Following one operational squadron tour flying the EC-130Q and one staff tour, he was selected for pilot training. Upon completion of undergraduate pilot training, he was designated a Naval Aviator in February 1993. After two E-6A operational squadron tours and a wing tour, he separated from active duty in November 1999 and entered the Naval Reserve.
In May 2000, he was commissioned as a major in the Air Force Reserve and completed KC-10 Initial Qualification Training. His operational assignments include KC-10 flight commander, deputy operations group commander and squadron commander. He also served as Deputy Commander, 409th Air Expeditionary Group while deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. His staff assignments include Headquarters U.S. Strategic Command/J5, Headquarters 19th Air Force, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command/A5/8/9, as well as two tours as Chief of the Joint Operations Center, Headquarters U.S. Strategic Command. General Scanlan is a command pilot with more than 7,000 total military flying hours, primarily in the EC-130Q, E-6A, TC-18 and KC-10A aircraft.
1985 Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting, Villanova University, Penn.
1996 Aviation Safety Officer Course, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2004 Air War College (by correspondence)
2008 Masters in Business Administration, Western Governors University, Utah
2009 NATO Senior Reserve Officers Course, NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany
2010 Senior Executive Fellows Program, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2010 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2010 NATO Senior Officer Policy Course, NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany
2011 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 1985 - February 1986, Student, Basic Naval Flight Officer Training, Training Squadron Ten, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
2. March 1986 - August 1986, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, 452nd Flying Training Squadron, Mather AFB, Calif.
3. January 1987 - March 1990, EC-130Q Navigator and Airborne Communications Officer (ACO), Legal Officer, Communication Security Custodian, Navigator and ACO Instructor and Evaluator, Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron Three, Naval Air Station Barbers Point, Hawaii
4. April 1990 - December 1991, Assignment Officer, Bureau of Naval Personnel, Arlington, Va.
5. January 1992 - February 1993, Student, Primary, Intermediate and Advanced Pilot Training, Training Air Wing Four, Naval Air Sstation, Corpus Christi, Texas.
6. February 1993 - June 1996, E-6A Instructor Pilot and Evaluator, Aircraft Division Officer, Assistant Maintenance Officer, Safety Officer, Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron Three, Tinker AFB, Okla.
7. July 1996 - August 1997, TC-18F Instructor Pilot, Current Operations Officer then Deputy for Operations, Strategic Communications Wing One, Tinker AFB, Okla.
8. September 1997 - January 1999, Training Officer, Operations Officer, E-6A Instructor Pilot and Evaluator, Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron Four, Tinker AFB, Okla.
9. February 1999 - November 1999, E-6A/B & TC-18F Instructor Pilot, Strategic Communications Wing One, Tinker AFB, Okla.
10. December 1999 - May 2000, Seventh Fleet Reserve Detachment 111, Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth, Texas.
11. May 2000 - October 2002, KC-10 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, 78th Air Refueling Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
12. October 2002 - May 2003, Deputy Commander 514th Operations Group, McGuire AFB, N.J.
13. May 2003 - April 2006, Commander, 76th Air Refueling Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
14. April 2006 - September 2006, Special Assistant to the Wing Commander, 514th Air Mobility Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
15. October 2006 - October 2009, Senior IMA to the Director of Plans and Policy, Headquarters, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb. (October 2008 - March 2009, Chief of the Joint Operations Center, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.)
16. October 2009 - July 2012, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, 19th Air Force, Randolph AFB, Texas. (December 2010 - April 2011, Chief of the Joint Operations Center, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.)
17. July 2012 - October 2012, Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Plans, Programs, Requirements and Assessments, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas.
18. October 2012 - present, Deputy for Inaugural Support, Joint Task Force-National Capital Region, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. October 2006 - October 2009, Senior IMA to the Director of Plans and Policy, Headquarters, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a colonel
2. October 2008 - March 2009, Chief of the Joint Operations Center, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a colonel
3. December 2010 - April 2011, Chief of the Joint Operations Center, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a colonel
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 7,000
Aircraft Flown: T-34C, T-43A, T-44A, C-130F/G, EC-130Q, E-6A/B, TC-18, KC-10A, T-1A, T-6A, T-38C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal with two gold stars
Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Ensign May 22, 1985
Lieutenant junior grade May 22, 1987
Lieutenant June 1, 1989
Lieutenant Commander/Major, Aug. 1, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2000
Colonel May 1, 2006
Brigadier General Feb. 17, 2012
(Current as of October 2012)