|MAJOR GENERAL G. WESLEY CLARK|
Retired May 1, 1990.
Major General G. Wesley Clark is vice commander, Air Force Space Command, with headquarters at Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
General Clark was born in Huntington, W.Va., in 1932, and graduated from Milton (W.Va.) High School in 1950. He earned a bachelor of arts degree in business administration from the University of Southern Colorado in 1965 and a master's degree in business administration from Auburn University in 1969. The general was a distinguished graduate of Air Command and Staff College in 1969 and Naval War College in 1977. He also completed the National Defense University's Institute of Higher Defense Studies in 1983.
He enlisted in the Air Force in March 1952 and was a nuclear weapons electronic technician until 1956. He then was assigned to Strategic Air Command bombardment wings at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.; Andersen Air Force Base, Guam; and Castle Air Force Base, Calif. He attained the rank of staff sergeant, then was commissioned through Officer Candidate School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, in March 1957.
After completing airborne electronics and navigation training at Keesler Air Force Base, Miss., in February 1958, the general was assigned to the 325th Fighter Wing, McChord Air Force Base, Wash., as an F-102 communications officer. He became squadron armament and electronics officer when the wing transitioned to F-106s in 1959. In September 1960 he was transferred to Headquarters Air Defense Command, Ent Air Force Base, Colo., as a missile maintenance officer. In July 1965 he was assigned to 10th Air Force, Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo., as chief of the Munitions Division and later served as deputy director of maintenance.
General Clark entered the space operations field in July 1969 as a senior director for the North American Air Defense Command's Space Defense Center, Cheyenne Mountain Complex, Colo. He later served as chief of the Space Defense Center and in August 1972 became operations officer with the 16th Surveillance Squadron, Shemya Air Force Base, Alaska. In September 1973 he was assigned as director of command control, 14th Aerospace Force, Ent Air Force Base, and in June 1975 became assistant deputy chief of staff for operations.
After completing Naval War College in 1977, he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., as chief, Space and Defensive Forces Division, Directorate of Plans. He also chaired the strategic defense panel of the Air Staff board. From November 1979 to June 1980 he was deputy to the deputy assistant secretary of the Air Force for space plans and policy. He also served as deputy executive secretary to the Defense Space Operations Committee.
In June 1980 he was assigned to the Aerospace Defense Center, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Colorado Springs, Colo., as director of space defense and missile warning. General Clark became the Space Command director of space, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans, in September 1982. In January 1983 he moved to Peterson Air Force Base and became the first vice commander of the 1st Space Wing.
He returned to Space Command headquarters in August 1984 as assistant deputy chief of staff for plans, and in June 1985 became deputy chief of staff for plans. He assumed his present duties in June 1989.
The general wears the Master Missile and Master Space badges, and holds the Aerospace Defense Command rating of Master of Space Defense. His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Joint Service Commendation Medal and Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster.
He was promoted to major general May 1, 1987, with same date of rank.
(Current as of November 1989)