|MAJOR GENERAL EUGENE LOWRY EUBANK|
Retired Dec. 1, 1954.
Died April 9, 1997.
Eugene Lowry Eubank was born in Mangum, Okla., in 1892. During World War I, he became a flying cadet in the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps Aug. 15, 1917, and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Signal Reserve Feb. 13, 1918, and assigned at Kelly Field, Texas, as an instructor in flying.
In August 1918, he moved to Payne Field, Miss., in a similar capacity. In January 1919, he was assigned to Ellington Field, Houston, Texas, for five months' duty as a flight commander, then moved to El Paso, Texas, as operations officer from June to August, 1919. He served as engineer officer at Marfa, Texas, throughout the remainder of that year, and then was operations officer of the 104th Aero Squadron at Marfa, until March 1920. At that time, he entered the Air Service Mechanical School at Kelly Field.
General Eubank received his commission as a second lieutenant in the Air Service of the Regular Army July 1, 1920. After graduating from the Air Service Mechanical School in December 1920, he went to Chanute Field, Ill., where he commanded a detachment and then served as adjutant. In March 1922, he began a tour as airplane pilot and observer at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. He became adjutant of Luke Field, Hawaii, in November 1922. He was assigned to McCook Field, Ohio, in February 1925, as adjutant and in other staff capacities. He became a test pilot there in March 1927, and in July 1928, was assigned as chief of the Flight Test Unit at Wright-Patterson Field, Ohio.
A year later, General Eubank was assigned to the Air Corps Engineering School at Wright-Patterson Field, and upon completing the course entered the Air Corps Tactical School at Langley Field, Va., from which he graduated in June 1931, and was assigned to the 49th Bombardment Squadron there. From July to December 1933, he served at West Point, Va., with the Civilian Conservation Corps, and then returned to Langley Field as commanding officer of the Second Bombardment Group. He was an instructor at the Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Ala., from June 1934, to February 1935, and then was assigned to General Headquarters Air Force at Langley Field, where he assumed command of the headquarters squadron in August 1935.
General Eubank entered the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in August 1937, and graduated in June 1938, and assumed command of the 32nd Bombardment Squadron at March Field, Calif. During this tour he took a special naval operations course at Maxwell Field, after which he returned to March Field, Calif., to join the 19th Bombardment Group and was appointed commanding officer of the 34th Bombardment Squadron there in October 1938. In April 1940, he became commander of the 19th Bombardment Group, with which he moved to Albuquerque, N.M., in June 1941.
General Eubank, in 1941, received a commendation from the Secretary of War for planning and executing the flight of 21 airplanes from Hamilton Field, Calif., to Hickam Field, Hawaii, on the night of May 13-14, 1941. He was later ordered to an unannounced overseas station, and upon completion of that assignment went on temporary duty at Albuquerque, N.M., pending his assignment to the Second Air Force at Fort George Wright, Wash., in August 1942.
General Eubank then served as director of bombardment at Air Force headquarters from September 1942, until April 1943, when he returned to Fort George Wright as commanding general of the Second Bomber Command. The following September he was transferred to Orlando, Fla., as Director of Tactical Development at the Army Air Forces Tactical Center. He became a member of the Army Air Forces Board at the Tactical Center in October 1943.
In February 1945, General Eubank became deputy commander for operations of the Eighth Air Force in the European Theater, and four months later was named commander of the Third Division of the Eighth Air Force there. In September 1945, he was assigned temporarily to Air Force headquarters, Washington, D.C. and a month later became president of the Army Air Forces Board at the Tactical Center at Orlando. In May 1946, he was assigned to Pacific Air Command, with headquarters at Tokyo, Japan, and in July assumed command of the 13th Air Force in the Philippine Islands.
In November 1948, General Eubank was appointed chief of the Air Force Manpower Group at Air Force headquarters. The following October, he was appointed deputy inspector general of the Air Force. In March 1950, he was transferred to the field office of the inspector general at Kelly Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas, retaining his position as deputy inspector general.
General Eubank assumed command of the Technical Training Air Force at Gulfport, Miss., in November 1951.
General Eubank has been awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star and Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster.
He was promoted to captain (permanent) Feb. 18, 1931; to major (temporary) April 20, 1935; to major (permanent) June 12, 1939; to lieutenant colonel (temporary) Dec. 30, 1940; to lieutenant colonel (permanent) Oct. 15, 1941; to colonel (temporary) Jan. 5, 1942; to brigadier general (temporary) Aug. 4, 1942; to major general (temporary) July 4, 1946; to brigadier general (permanent) Feb. 19, 1948, with date of rank from Aug. 4, 1947.
(Up to date as of April 24, 1952)