|LIEUTENANT GENERAL JACK L. RIVES|
Retired March 1, 2010.
Lt. Gen. Jack L. Rives is The Judge Advocate General (TJAG), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. In that capacity, General Rives serves as the Legal Adviser to the Secretary of the Air Force and all officers and agencies of the Department of the Air Force. He directs all judge advocates in the performance of their duties and is responsible for the professional oversight of more than 2,200 judge advocates, 350 civilian attorneys, 1,400 enlisted paralegals and 500 civilians in the Total Force Judge Advocate General's Corps worldwide. General Rives oversees military justice, operational and international law, and civil law functions at every level of command.
General Rives received his commission through the Air Force ROTC program in 1974. He completed his legal education at the University of Georgia School of Law in Athens before entering active duty in 1977. The general has served as a wing staff judge advocate; Deputy Legal Counsel to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; Commandant of the Air Force Judge Advocate General School; the first Chief of the Air Force Executive Issues Team; and as the Staff Judge Advocate at Headquarters Air Combat Command. Prior to assuming his current position, General Rives served as Deputy Judge Advocate General. In July 2008, he became the first TJAG in any service to serve in the grade of lieutenant general.
1974 Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, University of Georgia, Athens
1976 Juris Doctor degree, University of Georgia School of Law, Athens
1982 Squadron Officer School
1983 Air Command and Staff College
1985 National Security Management
1990 Air War College, with distinction
1993 Distinguished graduate, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1977 - June 1977, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Griffiss AFB, N.Y.
2. June 1977 - August 1978, Area Defense Counsel, Griffiss AFB, N.Y.
3. September 1978 - September 1979, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
4. October 1979 - June 1981, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Hellenikon AB, Greece
5. June 1981 - June 1983, Circuit Defense Counsel, Pacific Circuit, Clark AB, Philippines
6. July 1983 - June 1984, Judge Advocate Air Staff Training Officer, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. July 1984 - July 1986, Staff Judge Advocate, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
8. July 1986 - April 1990, Chief, Officer Branch, Judge Advocate Professional Development Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. May 1990 - August 1992, Appellate Judge, U.S. Air Force Court of Military Review, Bolling AFB, D.C.
10. August 1992 - June 1993, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1993 - August 1995, Deputy Legal Counsel to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1995 - March 1998, Commandant, Air Force Judge Advocate General School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. March 1998 - February 2000, Chief, Air Force Executive Issues Team, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. February 2000 - February 2002, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
15. February 2002 - February 2006, Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. February 2006 - present, The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 1993 - August 1995, Deputy Legal Counsel to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 12, 1974
Captain Jan. 25, 1977
Major Dec. 1, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 1989
Colonel May 1, 1994
Brigadier General April 1, 2000
Major General April 1, 2002
Lieutenant General July 23, 2008
(Current as of February 2010)