| JAMES J. BROOKS|
Mr. James J. Brooks, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Director, Strategic Planning, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington DC. He assists the director in developing, implementing and evaluating Air Force long-range strategic planning and providing associated policy guidance. He manages the Air Force strategic planning process that focuses and implements Air Force strategies, plans, policies and objectives. Mr. Brooks also links strategy with analysis for on-going defense reviews and annual defense planning guidance through the office of the Secretary of Defense. Additionally, he coordinates and oversees the AF planning process that aggressively evaluates and incorporates future warfighting concepts.
Mr. Brooks was commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1977. He has an extensive background in Air Force operations, serving as a fighter pilot in the F-15, F-5 and F-111, and as a forward air controller flying O-2s and O/A-37 aircraft. Mr. Brooks served on the Allied Air Forces Southern Europe (NATO) operations staff and as a course director for the Air Command and Staff College. Following command, he was assigned as the Chief of Aircrew Management and then as Chief of the Operational Training Division, Headquarters US Air Force. Mr. Brooks also served in the Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency as the Director of the Current Capabilities Analyses Directorate and later as the Vice Director and Military Commander.
Mr Brooks retired from active duty in 2006 as a colonel with more than 28 years of active duty Air Force service and became a senior-level executive serving as the Senior Advisor for Force Structure and Operational Assessments, Studies and Analyses, Assessments and Lessons Learned (AF/A9). Prior to his current assignment he served as the Associate Director, AF Quadrennial Defense Review, Office of the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force, Washington DC.
1977 Bachelor of Science degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1981 Accelerated Maintenance Officers Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
1985 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1987 Distinguished graduate, F-5 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Williams AFB, Ariz.
1992 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 Master's degree in political science, Auburn University, Montgomery, Ala.
1995 Air War College
1996 Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies, with highest distinction, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. 1977 - 1978, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. 1979 - 1983, forward air controller, O-2A and O/A-37 instructor pilot, and Chief of Quality Assurance, 23rd and 27th Tactical Air Support Squadrons, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. 1983 - 1985, F-15 pilot and assistant flight commander, Chief of Scheduling, Training and Quality Assurance Sections, 48th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
4. 1985 - 1988, F-5 instructor pilot, Fighter Weapons School instructor, Chief of Scheduling, and flight commander, 425th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
5. 1988 - 1990, air operations staff officer, Allied Air Forces Southern Europe (NATO), Naples, Italy
6. 1990 - 1991, aide-de-camp to the Commander, Allied Air Forces Southern Europe/Deputy Commander-in-Chief U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Naples, Italy
7. 1991 - 1992, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. 1992 - 1994, course director, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. 1994 - 1995, F-111 pilot and assistant operations officer, 523rd Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
10. 1995 - 1996, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. 1996 - 1998, Commander, 364th Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
12. 1998 - 1999, Chief, Aircrew Management Branch, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. 1999 - 2003, Chief, Operational Training Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. 2003 - 2004, Director, Current Capabilities Analyses Directorate, Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. 2004 - 2005, Vice Director and Military Commander, Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. 2006 - 2008, Senior Adviser for Force Structure and Operational Assessments, Studies and Analyses, Assessments and Lessons Learned (A9), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. 2008 - 2011, Associate Director, Air Force Quadrennial Defense Review, Office of the Air Force Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. 2011 - present, Deputy Director, Strategic Planning, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters US Air Force, Washington DC.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
(Current as of February 2012)