Brigadier General Patrick O. Adams is director for manpower and personnel, J-1, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C. The general is responsible for providing the chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, manpower and personnel advice and support to ensure maximum readiness and sustainability of the total force. The directorate provides plans, policy and guidance on joint personnel readiness. Manpower management policies, plans and oversight are provided as well for all joint and combined activities reporting to or through the chairman. The J-1 gives policy and guidance on joint officer management matters and administers the internal Joint Staff civilian and military personnel programs.
The general was born in Cape Girardeau, Mo., and was raised in Jefferson City, Mo. He was commissioned in the Air Force following graduation from the University of Missouri at Columbia in 1968 and entered active duty in 1969. His career has been primarily in personnel management positions.
1968 Bachelor of science degree in public administration, University of Missouri, Columbia
1983 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1983 Master of science degree in international relations, Auburn University
1991 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1993 Advanced Executive Program, Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University
1. August 1969 - January 1971, personnel officer, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2. January 1971 - October 1972, aide-de-camp, Military Assistance and Advisory Group, Headquarters Command, Tehran, Iran
3. October 1972 - April 1973, personnel officer, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam
4. April 1973 - October 1973, personnel officer, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
5. October 1973 - May 1975, Air Staff Training Program, Air Force Military Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
6. May 1975 - May 1978, personnel officer, Office of the Assistant for Colonel Assignments, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. May 1978 - July 1980, personnel officer, Office of the Assistant for Colonel Assignments, Air Force Manpower and Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
8. July 1980 - July 1982, assistant executive and executive officer to the commander, Air Force Manpower and Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
9. July 1982 - June 1983, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
10. June 1983 - July 1984, chief of military personnel, 2854th Air Base Group, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
11. July 1984 - August 1985, executive officer to the deputy chief of staff, manpower and personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1985 - July 1987, executive officer to the commander in chief, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
13. July 1987 - January 1988, commander, 3440th Technical Training Group, Lowry Technical Training Center, Colo.
14. January 1988 - July 1990, director of personnel programs and assistant for senior officer matters, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
15. July 1990 - June 1991, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
16. June 1991 - November 1991, chief of field activities, Air Force Military Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
17. November 1991 - June 1993, deputy chief of staff, personnel, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
18. June 1993 - September 1994, director of personnel, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
19. September 1994 - December 1994, chief, Military Liaison Team Bulgaria, U.S. European Command, Sofia, Bulgaria
20. December 1994 - July 1995, special assistant to the commander, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
21. July 1995 - January 1997, director of services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
22. January 1997 - present, director for manpower and personnel, J-1, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 4, 1968
First Lieutenant Jun 8, 1970
Captain Dec 8, 1971
Major Jun 1, 1980
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1984
Colonel Aug 1, 1989
Brigadier General Jul 1, 1995
(Current as of September 1998)