Brig. Gen. William E. "Ed" Albertson is the mobilization assistant to the Director, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
General Albertson is a 1969 distinguished graduate of the U.S. Army's Engineer Officer Candidate School, Fort Belvoir, Va. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the intelligence branch and served as an automated data processing plans and operations officer at the National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md. While there he designed and implemented computer software operating systems that supported exploitation of signals intelligence.
The general left active duty in 1972 but continued his military affiliation as an individual mobilization augmentee in the U.S. Army Reserve, Office of the Army Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Washington, D.C. In 1976, he transferred to the Air Force Reserve individual mobilization augmentee program. He has performed duties as an auditor with the Air Force Audit Agency, a computer systems development officer designing automated intelligence applications, and as an intelligence officer at the base, numbered air force, major command and unified command levels.
1967 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, University of Missouri, Columbia
1969 U.S. Army Engineer Officer Candidate School, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1969 Automated Data Processing Plans and Operations Officer Course, Fort Benjamin Harrison, Ind.
1976 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1988 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 National Security Management Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. May 1969 - May 1972, computer systems analyst, 9300th Headquarters and Headquarters Company, U.S. Army Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
2. May 1972 - March 1973, nonaffiliated active reserve
3. March 1973 - July 1976, computer systems analyst, Office of the Army Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
4. July 1976 - May 1979, auditor, Detachment 4332, Air Force Audit Agency, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
5. May 1979 - September 1981, computer systems development officer, ADP Technical Services, Air Force Intelligence Service, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
6. September 1981 - March 1983, air intelligence officer, Intelligence Directorate, Headquarters 15th Air Force, March AFB, Calif.
7. March 1983 - February 1987, intelligence applications officer, Air Rescue and Recovery Service, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. February 1987 - September 1989, staff officer, Intelligence Plans, Programs and Systems, Intelligence Plans and Policy Directorate, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
9. September 1989 - February 1991, intelligence applications officer, Intelligence Operations Directorate, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
10. February 1991 - April 1992, Intelligence Director, Intelligence Directorate, Headquarters 15th Air Force, March AFB, Calif.
11. April 1992 - October 1995, Intelligence Director, Intelligence Plans and Policy Division, Intelligence Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
12. October 1995 - January 2000, mobilization assistant to the Director of Intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
13. January 2000 - present, mobilization assistant to the Director, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
Commercial pilot, instrument rating
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
American Society of Military Comptrollers
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Air War College Alumni Association
University of Missouri Alumni Association
Certified Public Accountant
Certified Cost Analyst
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29,1969
First Lieutenant May 29, 1970
Captain May 29, 1971
Major May 29, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 30, 1987
Colonel Sept. 1, 1991
Brigadier General May 20, 1997
(Current as of March 2000)