Brig. Gen. Donna Shipton is the Air Force Program Executive Officer for Tankers, Tanker Directorate, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. She is responsible for the planning and execution of all life cycle activities for the Air Force tanker fleet, to include development, test, production, fielding, and support of the KC-46 tanker system, as well as modification and support of the fielded KC-135 and KC-10 tanker systems operated by the Air Force and partner nations.
General Shipton received her commission in 1991 as a distinguished graduate of Air Force ROTC after graduating from Clemson University. Her assignments have included positions at Secretariat of the Air Force and Headquarters, National Reconnaissance Office. Her other materiel-related assignments include Lead Systems Engineer, GPS Block IIF Satellite System; Program Element Monitor, Advanced Reconnaissance Programs; Program Manager, Advanced Space Control Demonstrations; Fleet Manager, Joint Strike Fighter Program Office; and Senior Materiel Leader, Cryptologic and Cyber Systems Division. General Shipton has commanded at the squadron and group levels.
In her previous assignment, she was the Senior Military Assistant for the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition. In this role, she was also the principal advisor to the principal deputy senior acquisition official and the three-star military deputy.
1991 Bachelor of Science, electrical engineering, Clemson University, Clemson, S.C.
1995 Master of Business Administration, Chapman University, Orange, Calif.
1996 Undergraduate Space and Missile Training - Staff Course, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
1998 Squadron Officer’s School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Master of Arts in Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Space Systems, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2008 Air War College, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master of National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 The Program Manager’s Course, Defense Acquisition University, Ft Belvoir, Va.
2017 The Executive Program Manager’s Course, Defense Acquisition University, Ft Belvoir, Va.
1. October 1992 - June 1996, Project Engineer and Lead Systems Engineer, Global Positioning System Block IIF Satellite System, GPS Joint Program Office, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
2. July 1996 - July 1998, Flight Commander, Operating Division-4, NRO, Onizuka Air Station, Calif.
3. August 1998 - May 2000, Student, Air Force Intern Program, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
4. June 2000 - June 2002, Chief, Satellite Engineering and Operations Branch, Aerospace Data Facility-Colorado, NRO, Buckley AFB, Colo.
5. July 2002 - June 2003, Program Element Monitor, Advanced Reconnaissance Programs, Airborne Reconnaissance Division, Information Dominance Directorate, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, SAF/AQI, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
6. June 2003 - May 2004, Speechwriter, Under Secretary of the Air Force (dual-hatted as Director, NRO), SECAF/CSAF Executive Action Group, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. June 2004 - June 2005, IDE Student, AF Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. July 2005 - June 2007, Deputy Program Manager and Program Manager, Advanced Space Control Demonstrations, Counterspace Group, Space Superiority Systems Wing, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
9. June 2007 - June 2009, Commander, Space Communications Operations Squadron, Communications Directorate, NRO, Los Angeles, Calif.
10. July 2009 - June 2010, SDE Student, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2010 - July 2012, F-35 Fleet Manager, Logistics and Sustainment Directorate, Joint Strike Fighter Program Office, Arlington, Va.
12. August 2012 - April 2014, Commander, Network Operations Group, Mission Operations and Communications Directorates, NRO, Chantilly, Va.
13. April 2014 - June 2015, Senior Materiel Leader, Cryptologic and Cyber Systems Division, C3I&N, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
14. June 2015 - June 2017, Senior Military Assistant, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, SAF/AQ, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. June 2017 - present, Air Force Program Executive Officer for Tankers, Tanker Directorate, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
1. June 2010 - June 2012, F-35 Fleet Manager, Logistics and Sustainment Directorate, Joint Strike Fighter Program Office, Arlington, VA as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
1995 Defense Standardization Award, AF Category
1998 Director of Central Intelligence Balkans Service Medallion
2005 Air Force Outstanding Engineering Team of the Year
2008 Air Force Space Command Lieutenant General Grant Award, Comm & Info Small Unit
2009 National Reconnaissance Office Silver Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 9, 1992
First Lieutenant May 9, 1994
Captain May 9, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Sep. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Aug. 2, 2017
(Current as of August 2018)