Selected for promotion to major general
Brig. Gen. Albert M. “Buck” Elton II is the Deputy Commanding General of Joint Special Operations Command, which oversees the study of special operation requirements and techniques; ensuring interoperability and equipment standardization. JSOC personnel also plan and conduct special operations exercises and training while developing joint special-operations tactics.
General Elton graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1989. He is a command pilot with more than 4,300 flying hours, including 350 combat hours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Bosnia. The general has commanded at the squadron, group, expeditionary group, and the wing levels. He has served on the combatant command and major command staff twice.
1989 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1995 Air Force Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Aviation Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2000 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Air Force Safety Center Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2001 Advanced Instrument School, Randolph AFB, Texas
2002 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2008 National Defense Fellowship, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2009 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2013 Senior Joint Information Operations Applications Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. 1989 - 1990, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. 1991 - 1994, Aircraft Commander, 37th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Rhein-Main AB, Germany
3. 1994 - 1998, Evaluator Pilot, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. 1998 - 1999, Evaluator Pilot, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. 1999 - 2001, Fixed Wing Chief, 58th Operations Group Standards and Evaluation, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. 2001 - 2002, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
7. 2002 - 2004, Fixed Wing Branch Chief and J35 Planner, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. 2004 - 2005, Operations Officer, 8th Special Operations Squadron, Duke Field, Fla.
9. 2005 - 2007, Commander, 7th Special Operations Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, England
10. 2007 - 2008, National Defense Fellow, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
11. 2008 - 2009, Chief, Strategic Planning Division, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
12. 2009 - 2011, Commander, 1st Special Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
13. 2011 - 2013, Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
14. 2013 - 2014, Director, Strategic Plans, Programs, and requirements, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
15. 2014 - present, Deputy Commanding General of Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
2002 - 2004, Fixed Wing Branch Chief, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a major
2006, Deputy Commander, Combined Joint Special Operations Air Component, Balad, Iraq, as a lieutenant colonel
2010, Commander, Joint Special Operations Air Component, Port au Prince, Haiti, as a colonel
2010, Commander, Combined Joint Special Operations Air Detachment, Bagram, Afghanistan, as a colonel
2014, Deputy Commanding General, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C. as a brigadier general
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,300 flying hours, including 350 combat hours, 800 instructor hours and 250 evaluator hours
Aircraft: C-130E, MC-130H, MC-130E, MQ-1B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters and "Valor" device
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1989
First Lieutenant May 1991
Captain May 1993
Major October 2000
Lieutenant Colonel April 2004
Colonel September 2008
Brigadier General July 2013
(Current as of February 2016)