Gregory W. Den Herder, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. As the principal assistant to the center's commander, he executes Air Force military and civilian personnel plans and policies. He also develops and administers personnel programs within the parameters established by law, executive orders, Department of Defense, Air Force policy directives, regulations and instructions, Office of Personnel Management, Merit Systems Protection Board, Federal Labor Relations Authority and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Mr. Den Herder has held various assignments at the Air Staff, major commands and activity levels. Prior to assuming his current position, he was Deputy Director of Personnel Force Management with the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Washington, D.C. He shared responsibility for ensuring that the deputy's policies and strategic goals were integrated into personnel-related processes for military and civilians. He was also responsible for all aspects of force management and the Senior Executive Service Program.
Mr. Den Herder's earlier jobs include serving as Chief of the Civilian Personnel, Social Actions and Family Programs Division at Headquarters Air Force Space Command. As Chief, he had command-wide responsibility for all policies and programs associated with civilian personnel management and administration, equal opportunity and treatment, and family support programs. Mr. Den Herder also worked as a major command and Air Staff Division Chief, command labor relations officer and base civilian personnel officer. In 1988, Mr. Den Herder participated in the LEGIS Fellows Program as a member of the minority staff of the Senate Federal Services, Post Office and Civil Service Subcommittee. He also served as an officer in the U.S. Army.
1969 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, University of North Dakota
1975 Civilian Personnel Officers Course
1988 LEGIS Fellows Program
1997 Federal Executive Institute
1. October 1971 - June 1976, personnel management specialist, 321st Combat Support Group, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
2. June 1976 - March 1977, civilian personnel officer, 317th Combat Support Group, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. March 1977 - March 1984, labor relations specialist, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. March 1984 - November 1986, Director, Programs and Career Management Division, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
5. November 1986 - January 1988, Chief, Air Force Evaluation Team, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. January 1988 - November 1988, personnel management specialist and legislative fellow, U.S. Senate, Washington, D.C.
7. November 1988 - February 1990, Chief, Programs Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. February 1990 - December 1991, Chief, Affirmative Employment and Work Force Development Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. December 1991 - January 1995, Director of Civilian Personnel, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. January 1995 - January 1998, Chief, Civilian Personnel, Social Actions and Family Programs Division, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. January 1998 - March 2000, Chief, Air Force Senior Executive Matters Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. March 2000 - July 2001, Deputy Director of Personnel Force Management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2001 - present, Executive Director, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
AWARDS AND HONORS
Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Exemplary Civilian Service Award
Quality Step Increase
Merit pay awards
Distinguished military graduate, U.S. Army ROTC program
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Senior Executives Association
Federal Executive Institute Alumni Association
Air Force Association
(Current as of September 2003)