Michael A. Gill, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. Mr. Gill advises the AFMC Commander in managing all aspects of the command's mission. The command employs some 80,000 people and manages $60 billion annually, executing the critical mission of warfighter support through leading-edge science and technology, cradle-to-grave life cycle weapon systems management, world-class developmental test and evaluation, and world-class depot maintenance and supply chain management. As the command's senior civilian, Mr. Gill also advises the AFMC Commander on labor union relations and development of the civilian work force. Civilians make up more than 70 percent of the command -- the highest percentage among all Air Force major commands -- and AFMC employs 40 percent of the total Air Force civilians.
Mr. Gill, a Georgia native, entered government service with the Air Force in 1982 under the Mid-level Management Training Program at Robins AFB, Ga., where he served as a contracting officer and contracts manager supporting multiple aircraft and weapon systems. He has served in many varied positions across the department. He has served as the program manager for the Air Force Contracting and Manufacturing Civilian Career Program, Randolph AFB, Texas; as the Director of the TRICARE Regional Office South, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, San Antonio, Texas.; as the Director of Contracting, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio; and as Executive Director, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah. Prior to his current assignment, he was Executive Director, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. Mr. Gill entered the Senior Executive Service in 2001.
1978 Bachelor of Business Administration degree, Georgia College
1980 Master of Business Administration degree, Georgia College
1998 Defense Leadership and Management Program
1999 Defense System Management College, Advanced Program Management Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2002 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. January 1982 - May 1992, Contract Specialist, later, Contracting Officer, later, Manager, F-111, F-4 and F-15 weapons systems, Robins AFB, Ga.
2. May 1992 - September 1995, Program Manager, Air Force Contracting and Manufacturing Civilian Career Program, Air Force Civilian Personnel Management Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. September 1995 - August 1997, Procurement Analyst, Logistics Contracting Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. August 1997 - January 1998, Procurement Analyst, Acquisition Support Team, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. January 1998 - March 1998, Deputy Chief, Procurement Policy Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. March 1998 - February 2000, Chief, Logistics Contracting Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. February 2000 - March 2001, Deputy Director of Contracting, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
8. April 2001 - July 2004, Director of Contracting, Ogden ALC, Hill AFB, Utah
9. August 2004 - July 2008, Director, TRICARE Regional Office-South, TRICARE Management Activity, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, San Antonio, Texas
10. July 2008 - April 2011, Director of Contracting, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. April 2011 - July 2012, Executive Director, Ogden ALC, Hill AFB, Utah
12. July 2012 - June 2013, Executive Director, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center (AFLCMC), Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. June 2013 - present, Executive Director, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
1988 Secretary of the Air Force Professionalism in Contracting Award, non-supervisory
1990 Fellow, National Contract Management Association
1995 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
1997 Department of Defense Logistics Life Cycle Cost Reduction Award
2004 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2008 Office of the Secretary of Defense Medal for Exceptional Civilian Service
2010 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2013 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2015 Distinguished Executive Presidential Rank Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
Senior Executive Association
Certified professional contracts manager, National Contract Management Association
Professional designation in contract management, National Contract Management Association
Contracting, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Certified Healthcare Insurance Executive, America's Health Insurance Plans
Program Management, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
(Current as of February 2016)