Garry B. Richey, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. The directorate provides maintenance engineering, supply, transportation, contracting, civil engineering, and security forces support for 13 flying wings and training wings. The directorate also oversees plans and policies supporting integration of new weapons systems into the command inventory, including the F-22A, CV-22, C-130J, F-35 and TH-1H. He serves as Air Education and Training Command's Acquisition Services Advocate.
Mr. Richey was born in Chickasha, Okla., and graduated from Duncan (Okla.) High School. He was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1972 and served at Fort Benning, Ga., until he was discharged in 1974. In 1977, he received a bachelor's degree in speech communication from the University of Oklahoma and started his civil service career as a logistics management specialist at Tinker AFB, Okla. His career includes acquisition and logistics experience as a director and logistics manager in propulsion, aircraft and item management. Mr. Richey also served as the Proposal Manager for the Tinker AFB bid in the Kelly AFB Propulsion Business Area public-private competition, which was awarded to Tinker AFB in February 1999.
Mr. Richey has been Deputy Director of Logistics at Headquarters Air Force Material Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, and Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill. Prior to his current position, he was Executive Director of the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB.
1977 Bachelor's degree in speech communication, Oklahoma University
1998 Master's degree in management, Webster University
2000 Program for Senior Managers in Government, Harvard University
2002 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2003 National Security Studies Leadership Program, Syracuse University, N.Y.
1. June 1977 - September 1978, logistics management specialist, Propulsion Management Division, Directorate of Materiel Management, Tinker AFB, Okla.
2. September 1978 - October 1982, inventory management specialist, Tinker AFB, Okla.
3. October 1982 - September 1985, division engine program control officer, Tinker AFB, Okla.
4. September 1985 - December 1985, J79 engine lead logistics specialist, Tinker AFB, Okla.
5. December 1985 - March 1986, Chief, J79/J75/J33 Item Management Section, Tinker AFB, Okla.
6. March 1986 - February 1987, Chief, Engine Management Section, later, TF30, TF41 and F107 Engines Supervisory Logistics Manager, Tinker AFB, Okla.
7. February 1987 - April 1989, Chief, Engine Management Branch, Tinker AFB, Okla.
8. April 1989 - April 1993, Deputy Chief of Contractor Logistics Support, Systems Division, Aircraft Directorate, Tinker AFB, Okla.
9. April 1993 - March 1997, Deputy Director, Propulsion Directorate, Tinker AFB, Okla.
10. March 1997 - July 1997, Proposal Manager, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center bid, Tinker AFB, Okla.
11. July 1997 - September 1999, Director, Commodities Management Directorate, Tinker AFB, Okla.
12. September 1999 - May 2003, Deputy Director for Supply Management, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. May 2003 - August 2004, Deputy Director of Logistics, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. August 2004 - July 2007, Executive Director, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. July 2007 - present, Director of Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
AWARDS AND HONORS
1996 Sustainment Logistics System Support Manager of the Year, AFMC
1998 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2002 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2007 Distinguished Executives Presidential Rank Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
1989 - 1992 Chairman, Board of Trustees, Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College
1995 President, Tinker Management Association
1999 - 2002 AFMC/AFGE Labor Management Partnership Council
2004 - 2007 Board of Directors, United Way of Central Oklahoma
2004 - 2007 Board of Advisers, Price College of Business, University of Oklahoma
2004 - present Aviation Advisory Board, University of Oklahoma
2008 - present Senior Civilian Adviser to the National Logistics Officer Association
Program Management, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Acquisition Logistics, Level III, APDP
(Current as of April 2010)