Thomas S. Wells, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The 711th HPW advances human performance and integration for air, space, and cyberspace through research, education, consultation, and operational support. The wing operates at twelve geographically separated sites; the two major locations are: Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio and Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The wings primary mission units are the Human Effectiveness Directorate, the U.S. Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine and the Human Performance Integration Directorate.
Mr. Wells began his Air Force career in 1981 as a contract negotiator at Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah, where he supported the F-4 and F-16 weapon systems as a buyer of spare and repair parts, systems modification and depot maintenance services. As a graduate of the Copper Cap Intern Program, he completed rotational assignments in a range of functional duties in air logistics. These included positions as procurement analyst, price analyst, item management specialist, financial management specialist, engineering technician and maintenance specialist.
Mr. Wells previously held several contracting positions at Hanscom AFB, Mass., including Director of Contracting for the Electronic Systems Center and contracting officer for the E-8 Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System. Prior to his current assignment, he was Director of Contracting, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB. In this position he managed AFMC contracting policies, processes, people and technology. Mr. Wells was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 1999.
1980 Bachelor of Science degree, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
1988 Master's degree in public administration, Utah State University, Logan
1999 Defense Leadership and Management Program
2000 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2006 Air War College, by seminar
1. September 1981 - November 1988, contract negotiator, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
2. November 1988 - June 1990, contracting officer, Directorate of Systems Contracting and Competition Advocacy, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
3. June 1990 - March 1991, procurement analyst, Acquisition Coordination Team, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
4. March 1991 - April 1995, contracting officer, Joint STARS Program Office, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
5. April 1995 - January 1997, Chief of Contract Clearance, Directorate of Contracting, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
6. January 1997 - November 1997, Chief of Contract Pricing, Directorate of Contracting, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
7. November 1997 - October 1999, Deputy Director, Directorate of Contracting, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
8. October 1999 - August 2001, Director, Directorate of Contracting, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
9. August 2001 - November 2003, Deputy Director of Contracting, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. November 2003 - March 2008, Director of Contracting, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. March 2008 - present, Director, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
1991 and 1999 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2001 Legion of Merit, Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
2005 Fellow, National Contract Management Association
2007 Meritorious Senior Executive Presidential Rank Award
1987 Professional designation in contract management, Air Force Institute of Technology and National Contract Management Association
2003 Certified Federal Contracts Manager, National Contract Management Association
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Prior National Director & Board of Advisors, National Contract Management Association
Board of Directors, Dayton-Wright Chapter, Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
Senior Executive Association
Contracting (Systems Acquisition), Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Program Management, Level III, APDP
(Current as of December 2011)