Keith D. Thomas, a member of the Defense Intelligence Senior Leadership, is the Director, Air Force Cryptologic Office, Fort George G. Meade, Md. He is 25th Air Force’s representative to National Security Agency and Central Security Service on all Air Force cryptologic matters, and he represents Air Force interests in the national cryptologic community. As the AFCO Director, Mr. Thomas guides the development of Air Force cryptologic strategies and technologies to enhance mission support to signals intelligence and information assurance, and he provides oversight and guidance for Air Force cryptologic activities worldwide. These activities include the spectrum of missions directly related to both tactical warfighting and national-level operations. Mr. Thomas also serves as the technical authority for the Air Force within the National Security Agency on concept development and systems acquisition of information operations, SIGINT and information security equipment and systems. He has also been appointed by the director of NSA as the chairperson of Inter-Agency Senior Electronic Intelligence Steering Group.
Mr. Thomas is a 1979 graduate of Southwest Texas State University in San Marcos. He received a master's degree in business administration in 1999 from Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio, and one year later, earned a master's degree in strategic studies from the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1979 Bachelor of Arts degree in international studies, Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas
1999 Master of Arts degree in business administration, Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio, Texas.
2000 Master of Science degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2002 National Senior Leadership Course, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2007 Intelligence Community Leadership Program, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
2008 Senior Joint Information Operations Applications Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010D SES Orientations, Washington, D.C.
2010 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Course, Knoxville, Tenn.
2010 Joint Executive Management Course, Washington, D.C.
2010 NSSP Executive Course in National & International Security, George Washington University, Washington D.C.
2011 AF Senior Executive Warfighter Perspective, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1979 - May 1982, intelligence operations intern, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Headquarters Electronic Security Command, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
2. May 1982 - June 1985, Deputy Chief, Intelligence Plans and Systems Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, ESC, Kelly AFB, Texas
3. June 1985 - May 1989, Director of Current Intelligence and Intelligence Applications, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, ESC, Kelly AFB, Texas
4. May 1989 - August 1990, Director of Intelligence, ESC, Kelly AFB, Texas
5. August 1990 - July 1994, Chief, Intelligence Concepts, Production and Systems Division, Air Force Intelligence Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
6. July 1994 - May 1995, Chief, Operations Applications Branch, Headquarters Air Intelligence Agency, Kelly AFB, Texas
7. May 1995 - August 1999, Technical Director, Information Operations Directorate, AIA, Kelly AFB, Texas
8. August 1999 - June 2000, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala
9. June 2000 - June 2005, Deputy Director, Air Force Cryptologic Office, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
10. June 2005 - July 2009, Director, Air Force Cryptologic Office, Fort George G, Meade, Md.
11. July 2009 - July 2012, Executive Director, Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency, Lackland AFB, Texas and the Director, Air Force Cryptologic Office, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
12. July 2012 - Present, Director, Air Force Cryptologic Office, Fort George G, Meade, Md.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2010 Presidential Rank Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
(Current as of February 2015)