Brigadier General Dennis B. Sullivan is a command director in the Cheyenne Mountain Complex for the North American Aerospace Defense Command, headquartered at Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
General Sullivan was born in 1927, in Chippewa Falls, Wis., where he graduated from McDonell High School in 1944. In 1946 he entered the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md., graduating in 1950 with a bachelor of science degree and a commission as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force. He received a master's degree in international affairs from The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., and is a graduate of the Advanced Management Program for Executives, Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh; the Air Command and Staff College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., and the National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
His initial pilot training began in June 1950 in T-6s at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas, and continued in F-80s at Williams Air Force Base, Ariz., and Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
In January 1952 General Sullivan was assigned to the 80th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 8th Fighter-Bomber Wing in South Korea, where he flew 100 combat missions in F-80s. After completing his tour of duty in South Korea, he transferred to Truax Field, Wis., and flew F-86 Sabrejets and F-102 Delta Daggers with the 126th, 432nd and 323rd Fighter-Interceptor squadrons. In October 1957 he moved with the 323rd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron to Harmon Air Force Base, Newfoundland, where he continued flying F-102s until September 1960. Following graduation from the Air Command and Staff College in July 1961, General Sullivan served with the 318th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron at McChord Air Force Base, Wash., flying F-106s.
From June 1963 to August 1968, General Sullivan was a special projects officer at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He was then assigned to Headquarters Aerospace Defense Command, Ent Air Force Base, Colo., as chief, Test Branch, Weapons Division. He attended the National War College and concurrently earned his master's degree in international affairs from The George Washington University from August 1969 to August 1970.
General Sullivan served from August 1970 to August 1972 as director of operations and later vice commander of the 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing at Beale Air Force Base, Calif., the only Air Force unit flying the SR-71 "Blackbird" strategic reconnaissance aircraft. He then moved to Air Training Command as vice commander of Chanute Technical Training Center, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill., where he served for three years.
In July 1975 General Sullivan took command of the only navigator training wing in the Air Force, the 323rd Flying Training Wing at Mather Air Force Base, Calif. From September 1976 to July 1978, he was assigned as deputy chief of staff for operations at Air Training Command headquarters, Randolph Air Force Base. In this position he was responsible for monitoring and providing staff support to pilot, navigator and survival training programs at 11 bases and several detachments. He then took command of 12th Air Division at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, and assumed his present duties in September 1981.
General Sullivan is a member of the Society of Experimental Test Pilots and a command pilot with 7,000 hours flying experience. His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Meritorious Service Medal and Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters.
He was promoted to brigadier general Feb. 1, 1977, with date of rank Jan. 24, 1977.
(Current as of February 2021)