Died October 09,2000
General James V. Hartinger is commander of the U.S. Air Force Space Command and commander in chief of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, with consolidated headquarters at Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
General Hartinger was born in 1925, in Middleport, Ohio, where he graduated from high school in 1943. He received a bachelor of science degree from the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., in 1949, and a master's degree in business administration from The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1963. The general is also a graduate of Squadron Officer School at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in 1955 and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C., in 1966.
He was drafted into the U.S. Army in July 1943 and attained the grade of sergeant while serving in the Infantry. Following World War II he entered the academy and upon graduation in 1949 was commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force.
General Hartinger attended pilot training at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas, and Williams Air Force Base, Ariz., where he graduated in August 1950. He then was assigned as a jet fighter pilot with the 36th Fighter-Bomber Wing at Furstenfeldbruck Air Base, Germany. In December 1952 the general joined the 474th Fighter-Bomber Wing at Kunsan Air Base, South Korea. While there he flew his first combat missions in F-84 Thunderjets.
Returning to Williams Air Force Base in July 1953, he served as a gunnery instructor with the 3526th Pilot Training Squadron. The general then transferred to Stewart Air Force Base, N.Y., in August 1954 as a fighter pilot and air operations officer in the 331st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron. During this period he attended Squadron Officer School.
In July 1958 General Hartinger began a four-year tour of duty in the Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. After receiving his master's degree in June 1963, he was assigned to Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii, in the Directorate of Plans, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces.
Following graduation from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in June 1966, he completed F-4C Phantom replacement training with the 43rd Tactical Fighter Squadron at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. From December 1966 to December 1967, he was assigned to Headquarters 7th Air Force at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Republic of Vietnam. He completed more than 100 aerial combat missions while assigned in the Republic of Vietnam.
In 1968 General Hartinger was the F-111 test director at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., and then took command of the famed "Flying Tigers," the 23rd Tactical Fighter Wing, flying F-105s at McConnell Air Force Base, Kan. The general became deputy chief of staff for plans at North American Air Defense Command headquarters, Ent Air Force Base, Colo., in June 1970. He moved to Maxwell Air Force Base in May 1973 as commandant of the Air War College.
From July 1975 until June 1978, General Hartinger was commander of the Tactical Air Command's 9th Air Force with headquarters at Shaw Air Force Base, S.C. He then was commander of Tactical Air Command's 12th Air Force with headquarters at Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas. He became commander in chief of North American Aerospace Defense Command in January 1980 and assumed his present duties in September 1982.
The general is a command pilot with more than 5,000 flying hours and is the first recipient of the Master Space Badge. His military decorations and awards include the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Distinguished Service Medal (Air Force) with oak leaf cluster, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with eight oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, Combat Readiness Medal and the Republic of Korea Order of National Security Merit Tung II. General Hartinger is also an honorary doctor of military science, Norwich University, Vt., in 1982 and an honorary doctor of laws, University of Akron, Ohio, in 1983.
He was promoted to general Oct. 1, 1981, with same date of rank.
(Current as of December 1983)