BRIGADIER GENERAL WILFRED H. HARDY
Died October 01,1968
PRINT | E-MAIL
Wilfred Henry Hardy was born in Quebec, Canada, in 1899. He moved to Lewiston, Maine, where he graduated from high school and in August 1919, and entered the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. He graduated from the academy and was commissioned a second lieutenant of Cavalry June 12, 1923.
The following two years, General Hardy served with the Fifth Cavalry Regiment, and in March 1925, began flying training. He graduated from basic and advanced flying schools at Brooks and Kelly fields in Texas and was rated a pilot a year later. He was transferred to the Air Corps Sept. 10, 1928.
General Hardy's first assignment upon graduating from flying school was as a flying instructor at Kelly Field. He later served in that capacity at March Field, Calif., and in June 1930, was transferred to Clark Field, Philippine Islands, for duty with the Third Pursuit Squadron.
Two years later, he returned to the United States to become a flying instructor at Kelly Field. He entered the Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Ala., in September 1937 and upon graduation the following June entered the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., from which he graduated in June 1939. He then became an air instructor with the Michigan National Guard and in March 1940, was named executive officer of the West Coast Training Center at Moffett Field, Calif. In January 1942, he was named director of air instruction at the Command and General Staff School.
General Hardy went overseas in December 1943 to become assistant chief of staff for supply of the Fifth Air Force in the Pacific Theater and in June 1944, assumed that position with the Far East Air Forces. In October 1945, he became commander of the Forward Echelon of the Far East Air Forces.
General Hardy returned to the United States in December 1945 and the following month was assigned to the staff and faculty of the Air Command and Staff School at Maxwell Field, Ala. In July 1946, he was appointed chief of the Air Forces Division of that School and in February 1947, became commandant of the AAF Special Staff School at Craig Air Force Base, Ala., and commander of Craig Air Force Base. When the Special Staff School was moved to Maxwell Air Force Base in September 1950, he remained as commander of Craig Air Force Base and assumed command of the 3615th Primary Training Wing there.
In January 1951, General Hardy was appointed assistant to the commanding general of the San Antonio Air Materiel Area at Kelly Air Force Base, Texas. The following March he assumed command of the 80th Air Depot Wing at Kelly Air Force Base and later that month took the wing to French Morocco.
General Hardy has been awarded the Distinguished Service Medal and the Army Commendation Ribbon. He is rated command pilot, combat observer and aircraft observer.
(Up to date as of Aug. 6, 1951)