Dr. Janet S. Fender, a senior level executive, is the Scientific Adviser to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia. She serves as the Command Chief Scientist providing scientific expertise and technical guidance throughout ACC. As primary interface to the scientific community, Dr. Fender identifies leading edge technologies and catalyzes effective, rapid enhancements to ACC's warfighting capabilities.
In previous positions at the Air Force Research Laboratory, Dr. Fender served as Chief Scientist for Space Vehicles and Senior Scientist for Advanced Imaging. Her multifaceted career in science and technology includes basic laboratory research, fielding new capabilities, key technical positions in major programs, and support to operations. Her research in the field of directed energy was a cornerstone for the Strategic Defense Initiative. Ultimately responsible for the design and engineering of Air Force Space Command's premier space surveillance sensor, Dr. Fender's leadership ensured full operational readiness of the Advanced Electro-Optical Sensor at Mount Haleakala, Hawaii.
As the U.S. member of the United Nations Space Surveillance Expert Group, Dr. Fender participated in establishing international policy for space. Internationally recognized for research and development of innovative high-resolution imaging technologies, she has published more than 100 journal articles and reports, holds key U.S. patents, and is a frequently invited conference speaker. Dr Fender represents the Air Force on the Physics and Astronomy Board of the National Science Foundation, and she represents ACC on the NASA Advanced Aircraft Program Blue Ribbon Panel. She is a former chair of the Board of Assessment of the Physics Laboratory, National Institute of Science and Technology.
1973 Bachelor of Science degree in physics and astronomy, University of Oklahoma
1978 Master of Science degree in optical sciences, University of Arizona
1981 Doctor of philosophy degree in optical sciences, University of Arizona
1997 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2004 Senior Information Warfare Course, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Senior Executive Service Seminar, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. 1974-1975, member, Astronomical Research Staff, Kitt Peak National Observatory, Tucson, Ariz.
2. 1976-1976, research physicist, Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, N.C.
3. 1981-1984, optical research physicist, Optical Analysis Group, Laser Beam Control Branch, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
4. 1984-1990, Chief and Senior Scientist, Optical Phased Array Branch, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M. (1986-1989, New Mexico Governor's Technical Advisory Committee)
5. 1990-1991, Chief and Senior Scientist, Advanced Technology Imaging Branch, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. 1991-1993, Chief and Senior Scientist, Advanced Technology Imaging Division, Phillips Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
7. 1993-1997, Technical Director, and Scientific and Technical Senior Scientist, Optical Sensing Division, Phillips Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M. (1994 - 1997, U.S. expert to the United Nations, Geneva, Switzerland)
8. 1997-2004, Chief Scientist, Space Vehicles Directorate, AFRL, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
9. 2004-present, Scientific Adviser to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Presidential Distinguished Service Rank Award
Fellow, Optical Society of America
Fellow, International Society of Optical Engineers
Distinguished Alumni, University of Oklahoma
Distinguished Alumni, University of Arizona
Sigma Pi Sigma (National Physics Honor Society)
Gold, Silver, Bronze Corporate Cup athletic medals
Air Force Scientific Achievement Award
American Defense Preparedness Association Crozier Prize
Coty Most Extraordinary American Woman of the Year
New Mexico Federal Woman of the Year
Who's Who Worldwide, Science and Engineering, Fourth Edition
Coyote Classic Rally Navigator Award
International Commission on Optics Award
Special Act Award, U.S. Air Force
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Former President (1997) and Board of Directors, Optical Society of America
Board of Directors, International Society of Optical Engineering
Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, American Institute of Physics
Board of Assessments, Physics Laboratory, National Institute of Science and Technology
Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers
DOD Representative 1995 -2007, National Science Foundation Physics and Astronomy Board
NASA Blue Ribbon Panel for the Advanced Aircraft Program
U.S. Representative, International Commission for Optics
(Current as of July 2016)