BRIGADIER GENERAL DAVID L. CARTER
Died February 05,2008
PRINT | E-MAIL
Brig. Gen. David L. Carter is vice commander of the Fourteenth Aerospace Force, Ent Air Force Base, Colo.
General Carter was born in Valparaiso, Ind., in 1920. He entered the Army Air Corps as an aviation cadet in 1942 and in September he received his commission as a second lieutenant.
He was assigned as an advanced single engine flying instructor at Lake Charles Army Air Field, La. Subsequently, he became operations officer and commander of a flight training squadron.
In 1946 he entered Purdue University where he earned a bachelor of science and a master's degree in aeronautical engineering. In 1949 he was assigned as Air Force instructor at the U.S. Naval Academy. He was assigned, in 1952, to the Air Research and Development Command as Chief, Test Projects Branch in the Directorate of Aeronautics and Propulsion. After attending the Air Command and Staff School in 1956, he went to the Western Development Division - later Air Force Ballistic Missile Division and Space Systems Division - of ARDC where he served as Deputy Director Technical Divisions and Director of Plans and Analysis.
In June 1961 General Carter was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md., where he was assistant to the deputy commander for space. In 1964 he transferred to the Office of Space Systems in the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force where he was deputy director for research and development.
In August 1968 General Carter assumed his duties as vice commander Fourteenth Aerospace Force with headquarters at Ent Air Force Base, Colo.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal and Air Force Commendation Medal. He is a command pilot with more than 3,800 flying hours and wears the Master Missileman Badge.
(Current as of Feb. 15, 1969)
Change in assignment to U.S. deputy chief of staff/Live Oak, Headquarters SHAPE, effective June 2, 1969.