Major General Edward R. Bracken is chief of staff, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. AFLC provides logistics resources necessary to keep Air Force units and weapon systems in a state of readiness, and sustain their operations in peace, war and contingencies. The command carries out this mission through five air logistics centers and 11 specialized centers, and has approximately 90,000 airmen, officers and civilian employees throughout the world.
General Bracken was born in Troy, N.Y., in 1937, where he graduated from Catholic Central High School. He earned a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1959 and a master's degree in business administration from Auburn University in 1971. The general completed Squadron Officer School in 1965, Air Command and Staff College in 1971, and the National War College in 1976.
In June 1959, after receiving his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program, General Bracken entered the Air Force. When he completed pilot training in September 1961, he was assigned to the 615th Tactical Fighter Squadron, England Air Force Base, La. In January 1963 he transferred to the 35th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Itazuke Air Base, Japan, and later moved with the squadron to Yokota Air Base, Japan. During this time he performed temporary duty at Korat and Takhli Royal Thai Air Force bases, Thailand, and flew combat missions in Southeast Asia.
Returning to the United States in July 1966, he was assigned to Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., where he was an F-105 instructor pilot, and participated in category III F-111 testing. In January 1967 General Bracken transferred to the Air Force Aerospace Research Pilot School, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. In February 1968 he began flight-testing the F-100, F-105 and F-111 at the Armament Development Test Center, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. From December 1969 to July 1970 the general served with the 355th Tactical Fighter Wing at Takhli Royal Thai Air Force Base and flew F-105s.
Upon completion of Air Command and Staff College in June 1971, he was assigned as the F-111 requirements and fighter avionics development project officer for the deputy chief of staff for research and development at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He was instrumental in initiating the Pave Tack research and development program for F-111s and F-4s, and he participated in initial program definition for the F-16.
The general transferred to Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho, after completing National War College in July 1976. In May 1977 he was assigned as commander of the 391st Tactical Fighter Squadron and led the deployment of the unit's F-111s to Royal Air Force Station Lakenheath, England. At Lakenheath he assumed command of the 493rd Tactical Fighter Squadron. In June 1978 he became assistant deputy commander and, later, deputy commander for maintenance, 48th Tactical Fighter Wing. He was assigned as vice wing commander in June 1980 and assumed command of the wing in November 1981.
In April 1984 he transferred to the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla., as vice commander. From May 1985 to January 1986 he served as deputy chief of staff for maintenance and from February 1986 to July 1987 as deputy chief of staff for plans and programs, Air Force Logistics Command headquarters. In August 1987 he became director for logistics plans and programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics and Engineering, Air Force headquarters. He assumed his present position in September 1990.
The general is a command pilot with 4,000 flying hours and 130 combat missions. His military awards and decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal with nine oak leaf clusters, and Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters.
He was promoted to major general Sept.1, 1987, with same date of rank.
(Current As of November 1990)